looking for a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Keegsdad, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Keegsdad

Keegsdad

Good day all,

I play in a classic rock band, using a MM Sterling axe as my main toy. I play out of an Eden WT800 and a Mesa 2x10 and 1x15 cab. While I like the config. I have my back back does not. Most gigs we play through the house so I don't need to lug around the bigger cabs. What would be a good lighter rig that I should be looking at that will be able to give me that low end driving sound I need and yet won't break my back.

Thanks....
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I see a lot of guys gigging with a pair of 1x12 cabs. You could just use one of them for lighter duty shows. I myself have a single 2x12 cab. Also, there's tons of micro amps out there. Mine's a GK, but everyone seems to make one these days.
  3. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I've been doing it with a pair of Eden 210XST cabs for some time. Use one, or both, depending on the gig. Lately, though, the AER gets most of the calls.
  4. cableguy

cableguy

What sort of budget do you have? Also what kind of stage volume does your band have? Could your 210 cut it alone?
  5. raventepes

raventepes

One option would be to drop to either a combo amp with a direct out, or even just a pre-amp and hook right into the PA.
  6. Keegsdad

Keegsdad

Budget wise I am cool, not sure if a 2x10 will cut through I guess with the house carrying the sound all I really need is the cab to be a monitor of some sort. plus we are thinking about going to an in ear system. So maybe a 2x10 will be okay.
  7. DogBone

DogBone

All of our larger shows are through a PA, so I've completely dropped my head/cab setup and have just used my little Ampeg BA210 combo w/ DI out as my main rig for many years now.

We're still not to the point of me being able to run completely ampless, but if we ever do I would be very happy to just get a quality DI, such as the REDDI for example, and be done with toting a bass amp altogether.
  8. cvsurg

cvsurg Supporting Member

I've been very happy with my Zoom B3 DI'd to PA, and with in-ears, there's very little to haul other than a gig bag. My back has never been happier.
  9. Alexander

Alexander

Bergantino CN212 for the win!