Looking for a new singer!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thereallime, Dec 31, 2012.

1. thereallime

thereallime

My band has been looking for a singer for months now. Have tried the Craigslist thing but hasn't worked well. Any tips on how to search for a singer? Where to put ads

2. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

+1
    There is some real talent out there

a lot of people that should never be near a mic too...

4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

IMHE, the pool of good singer/fronts is the smallest. Demand is high.

Craigslist can work, but I think because of the limited pool, if you simply don't have luck in timing, it can take a while. Keep at it.

In the same vein, you can check and advertise on bandmix.com.

I was involved in a singer search about a year ago. I tried the karaoke thing. It seems like a good idea, but I didn't happen to see anyone. Again, I think you could find someone that way, but it's still going to require a lot of luck in timing.

We decided on the best singer, who didn't have any band experience. The first night out with him was a disaster. He had no fronting ability and his voice didn't initially have the stamina for a bar gig. We stuck with it, and he got much better over time, but that upfront experience and track record is something to consider.

He was replacing someone who was hardly the greatest singer in the world but was great at working the room and engaging the women. I hadn't fully appreciated the job he was doing in that area.

7. drpepper

D'oh, beat me to the bandmix punch :p

8. thereallime

thereallime

The band mix is great idea but you have to be a premium member to contact them I'd like to not have to pay to talk to these people. Gonna try the karaoke thing would open mics be a good idea too?

9. tmdazed

tmdazed

Be forewarned , Most Karaoke singers do not a front person make, any little variance in a song and they WILL train-wreck. We tried probably a dozen karaoke singers out , and lo and behold , none could sing with a band. I am sure a couple could with time , but we are not here to teach someone how to sing with a band. The one woman we did want to have join went all diva on us so we told her to go back to the karaoke bar from whence she came, open mics are probably the way to go , a quick ad up on the bulletin board at your local music store may bear fruit for you too

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You can also call some people that do the karaoke gigs and ask them if they know any singers that stand out. They see a lot of people and may be able to point you in the right direction or tell you a club and time that you will see them there.

11. drpepper

Look for or host "live" karaoke, ha - just saw this in another thread