Looking for a nice bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Nov 10, 2012.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

hve one year playing bass, Metal music most. But I think I need a new bass that give me motivation to play it because I want to be an artist in the future. Im thinking in a decent bass that also can be used for professional recording. Im thinking about thunderbird pro V because the positive reviews but also there are many positive reviews about the BC Rich widow. The Widow also have EMG pups I really like more the Thunderbird bass style but I think I will get more tone for metal music with the Widow. What recommends me?
  2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Id look at Jackson, BC Rich, Esp Ltd, and Ibanez SR's, myself for great basses that dont cost a lot and which are often better imo then a lot of others in their price ranges. To me tbirds lack difinition and their awkward reach to nut plus being very neck divey, makes them a no go for me.
  3. mr p taylor

mr p taylor

gretsch junior jet.
  4. chef wong

chef wong

Dean Edge 6 string Contrabass guitar...35 inch neck length. You'll have to intonate for the extra inch. These basses only get crunchier sounding as you play harder.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Dean Edge 6 looks cool, Anyway how good is to use a 6 string bass in a rock and metal band? I will making mostly metal music and maybe some Metal-Electro mix. BC rih looks nice Anyway Im looking minimum of 5 strings. I alredy have my 4 string bass.Ibanez have some cool basses but I like more the look of BC rich or thunderbird. Anyway I know the quality and tone is the most important thing. IM looking for maximum $600 bass. Im not shure that a $600 bass can qualify for porfessional recording purposes or need a more expensive bass...
  7. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

About my current bass, it plays nice and all, but not like munch the tone or tonal range for a nice recording. I will change the pickups to EMG X anyway.
  8. GM60466

GM60466

ESP Viper
  9. nubs

nubs

get yourself an Epi Tbird there a pretty solid instrument for the $$.
  10. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Went into the studio with my T-bird. They hated me and hated it... Then again... They hated my tone with my P bass... It was their tone that I HAD to use otherwise it didn't "come out right in the recording."

T birds however are fun basses when you sit down. but playing a 30-45 minute show with them sucks... Then if you are up on stage for an hour+ don't even get me started. They neck dive like crazy and they are hard to play standing up (well for me at least) and I'm 6'2... If you want a gigging bass steer away from the T bird.
  11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

BC Rich is the last thing I would buy...

If you want a good sounding bass for metal, go for the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro V ;)

Trust me, you can't go wrong ;)
  12. nubs

nubs

Disagree, whole heartedly. get a good strap make sure your strap pins are located in the best spot, (and i am pretty sure the epis come with the front pin located at the heel) and neck dive becomes just a bad rumor. granted a Bird isnt for everyone but they are great basses. i am 5'8" and i dont have issues with them. We play 3-5 gigs a months 3 sets. i own 8 birds, 3 Gibbys, 3 Epis and 2 Cataldos. some peoples roofs are other peoples ceilings, i guess.....
  13. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I use a $100 strap (On a $300 Epi :p) and strap locks. Its set up nice and perfect but the second I start going crazy and wild and jumping around I start having to hold the bass up... I much prefer my P bass for live shows (Lighter and I can get higher up on the fret board.) I have gigged my T bird more than my P bass (I think its because I've been trying to baby my P bass.) But now that I've brought the P bass out she just is a lot nice to play for metal/post hardcore shows (IMO)

Don't get me wrong. The T-Birds are an AMAZING bass, its just that they aren't the best for Metal (especially if the player will be moving around a lot) Well at least thats how it has been for me.
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

The first statement is a result of lazy recording "engineers". If it wasn't, every recording would be a P or J.
  15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. That was small-mindedness. Ignore it.

T-birds can be a back killer if you move around a lot onstage. Not the neck dive so much as the way they cause your upper body to twist to keep the shape under control. Might just be me, but a P is WAY more comfortable for long sets.
  16. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Not trying to derail, but thats what I was saying. They were trying to say "Oh the Flat wounds just don't give us a good sound" then I yelled at them about how it was MY sound and I LIKE my sound but "it didn't come out right so we had to use the other tracks that we recorded with my bass." c.c It really pisses me off.

But Thunderbird with Flat wounds... Very awesome tone... It hardly has kick, it just a wall of bass! ^.^
  17. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Yeah I think I will be moving a lot and all sort of crazy things. My current bass weights like 13 pounds and I can play in my home sometimes 1:30 hour concert. (Yeah I put some full concert of slipknot or black veil brides and play the bass like I am on stage. Maybe because I go to GYM the weight not cause a pain at all. Still im worry of Thunderbird neck dive, I like to play the bass alone and make new riff and grooves. I like to play it fast so neck dive not its a option. My bass has neck dive, I fix it but if i will going to expend more that $500 on a bass I dont want to expend $200 more to make it play nice.
  18. El-Bob

El-Bob

What is your current bass? Out of the basses you listed, the T-bird is absolutely the better option. There's a ton of garbage advice in this thread though...

It is becoming painfully obvious to me that most basses marketed as 'metal' basses are probably the worst possible thing you could use for playing metal. If you want to actually be heard in the mix, you should really consider getting something with single coil pickups, not humbuckers. You will cut better and get a more aggressive tone. I would suggest a Fender Jazz or some model of Warwick with single coils. Remember not to mid-scoop like every other metal bassist. A mid-scooped tone combined with humbucking pickups is going to get you the cleanest possible sound you can get, and get you totally lost... just avoid basses marketed for 'metal'.
  19. Nahguavkire

Nahguavkire

El-Bob speaks the truth. Fender Jazz is really what you should get. That said if you really want something that looks the part I'd recommend an ESP F-Series (Forest). They look pointy but they just feel like a regular bass in terms of comfort. They sound great, they're comfortable to play and Steve DiGiorgio can't be wrong!!! Hope that's some help.
  20. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Ok no doubt that fender Jazz will make it, after all its a classic. But I like a more stylish body. About pickups I dont know by myself but my bassist friends tell me that EMG acive pickups are the best. My bass is a Stagg XB-300, I change the electronics and put a Active EQ (bass, treble,mid) and I going to change the pickups, I know not is a great bass as I saw in the reviews I pick it because the style, all my friends love the body. Still, its solid, not have the flaws that many people tell, has neck dive but I place the strap lock where the neck meets the body and it fix it like magic. I like the wood, have quality and solid but the electronics, pups, bridge and tuners are cheap so im going to change all that.
  21. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Also it needs to have 5 strings, not 4. I already have a 4 string bass.