1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a possible Boss LMB-3 replacement

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

‘Morning,

Yup, another compression thread.

After going through a few comps (Boss CS-3 twice, EBS Multicomp, BBE monocle OptoStomp and DOD MilkBox), I’ve been using the Boss LMB-3 for a couple of years, on a slightly modified-from-the-manual slap settings : Level at unity, Enhance between minimum and 8 o’clock, Ratio noonish and Thshd 9 o’clock. These settings work perfectly for me whether I’m playing fingers, pick, slap or chords.

Lately, I’ve been having issues with the pedal: it switches on and off and there is more noise coming from it (I’ve checked the other pedals and the cables). So either I send it for repairs or buy another. Getting pedals repaired in my area is always a PIA and it’s probably not worth it anyway.

Thus, I now begin a trek in compression/limiting lalaland. I browsed through Bongo’s reviews focussing on limiters and in a nutshell, I prefer a pedal to a rack unit (so out goes the Alesis Micro Limiter), I don’t want to spend a fortune either (so no FEA Dual Band comp-limiter) and the Carl Martin comp-limiter is rated as a pedal with a dark tone, so not for me either. I read a few comp reviews, looking for something comparing them to the LMB-3, but dropped it after a while. There is always the option of going for another LMB-3, which would be fine, but this is probably a good time to explore options before settling down again.

So here’s my question, not exclusively aimed at guys with LMB-3 experience, but I’m hoping a few will chime in: is there a pedal out there that could replicate what the LMB-3 is giving me ?
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Isn't the LMB-3 just a limiter? I have not used mine in years, so my memory is foggy... I should really get rid of that thing...

I use a Diamond Compressor these days and love it.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Bump.

Maybe somebody has MS60B limiter settings that could work, I tried finding some, but didna work out.