Looking for a semi hollow bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demonturtle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

So my girlfriend said that since my birthday will be coming up in a few months, I can choose a new bass guitar, which will be my present.

After having a big smile on my face for about an houre, I instantly knew I wanted a semi hollow bass.

All good, but here's the thing, I can't seem to find THAT much semi hollow bassguitars that are affordable (affordable being around 500-600 € (I believe converted that's about 800$ maximum).

I found 3 basses that I like but they alle seem to have their little "flaws"

1. the Epiphone Jack Casady: big plus is that it's a regular scale size, downside is that it has only 1 pickup (I'm a 2 pickup guy).

2. The Ibanez AGB 200: like the looks, like the placing of the pickups, "downside": short scale, I've never played a shortscale so I'm a bit "afraid of what that'll be like.

3. The Eastwood Classic 4: same as the Ibanez, Downside: pickup placing and short scale (same story).

If you guys could help me out, by helping me with my search and decision I would be more than gratefull!

2. stratovani

stratovani

Check out the Hofners.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with short scale. Check this out yet?

4. Bobster

Bobster

Demonturtle,

Although the Jack Casady is a single pickup bass, the varitone REALLY gives you some options, all the way from thumpy to almost single coil P bass.

Don't cross them off the list till you can try one.

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. main_sale

main_sale

Out of your three choices, the Jack Casady is the one to get if you are at all interested in great tone!!!!

[​IMG]

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The JC is a nice bass. If you don't mind that kind of body shape I highly recommend the DiPinto Belvedere if you can find one. Great tones.

Reverends are even better (IMO) but I don't think you'll find one in your price range.

8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

9. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

Has anybody tried an Italia Torino yet? Just discovered this bass, and the looks just blew me away, I like the types of pickups, but I haven't been able to find any soundclips.

Thanks!

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Search TB - there is at least one LONG thread about the Casady bass.

I have one. It has a different voice than anything else I own, and I really like it. Fantastic sound, just a bit of a neck-diver, but almost all 34" scale hollows and semi-hollows have that tendency.

With the vari-tone, you won't need two pickups. There's plenty of choice to play with. Mine still has the factory rounds on it, but I'm considering switching to my normal flats - which will give me another set of sound options.

The Casady bass is VERY MUCH worth considering - seriously. I am confident it's more bass than either of the two options you mentioned, although I do like the Ibanez AGB 200...I just think the Casady is more bass than the Artcore semi-hollows I've played.

Here's mine - next to my short-scale Gretsch:

[​IMG]

11. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

There are some 34" scale semihollows in and around your price range. Two that come to mind are the Aria TAB-66 and the Samick Royale. The Royale series includes different 1- and 2-pickup configurations. The one pictured is a single humbucker with active electronics.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, if you want to get an idea of the tonal range of the Jack Casady, check out the demos on YouTube. Just do a search for "Epiphone Jack Casady" and you'll see several vids of people playing their Casady's at various tone settings.

You may also want to consider the Kay Vintage Reissue Pro Bass. It's in your price range, available in 3 colors, and comes with a very nice made-to-fit hardshell case. It's 31.25" scale and a TB-er who owns one was just raving about it.

[​IMG]

12. newbassdude

newbassdude

Hofner Contemporary Series.

about $760.

The Contemporary, unlike other hofners, is semi acoustic

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

hoffner or cassidy..

If you can get them the Ibanez are good values.

14. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

Thanks to all of you for your input, I must say at first the Epi didn't seem like a real option, but you guys really made me want to reconsider that bass. The biggest plus for me still is the scale, I still remain a bit hesitant towards short scale basses.

15. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

What's your issue with short scale basses? What short scales have you played?

16. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

The only short scale bass I've played so far is a Fender Mustang bass, and I don't know but it just felt too small, and I wasn't really comfortable playing it.

17. stiles72

stiles72

+1 Jack Cassady

I'm not much for short scale either. I had a BEAUTIFUL "Fireburst" GOTM Gibson SG bass... Probably the best looking bass I have ever owned - but it felt like a toy in my hands. I'm used to playing Thunderbirds, and the short scale just wasn't going to work. Sadly I sold that bass within 6 hours of owning it.

I do have a Dearmond Starfire hollow body which is 32" scale, and that I don't mind. Those are a great option too if you can come across one used on Ebay etc...

18. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

I played one of these the other day and really really liked it.

[​IMG]

19. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Right. but a short scale solid body and short scale hollowbody feel different because a short scale solid puts its bridge right at the end of the body. Example: Gretsch Junior Jet (a Mustang bass would have similar proportions) is about 40" long.

[​IMG]

For many hollowbody basses, however, to get more hollow tone the bridge is placed about 1/3 of the way up the body. Hollowbody basses have a shorter scale to take advantage of more optimum bridge placement while keeping the lowest frets reachable. Example: Eastwood Classic 4 (inspired by short scale Gretsch hollowbodies) is about 46.5" long .

[​IMG]

Therefore a shortscale hollowbody won't feel undersized (toylike) because its overall length is as long as a solid body 34" scale bass. Even with its 2+2 headstock the Eastwood is longer than my 34" scale G&Ls.

20. Bassman203

Bassman203

+1

21. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member