Looking for a simple but transparent synth sound from a pedal that cleans up well.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Lovejoy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

I have been looking for a synth sounding pedal to give my tone the right lifeless, uncaring edge for years now. Like the noise of a running circular saw left on a wet floor. A faint and subtle metallic buzz and warbling in the background that makes your blood run cold.

Nothing really comes to mind as far as examples so you will have to use your imagination. Not really familiar with electro music, but think of whatever fuzzed-out, disaffected French DJs you want. Gesaffelstein I believe is the one who has replaced Daft Punk and Justice in the hipster circles this year for that genre. Not really into that music, but I figure one or two of you will get my gist.

Now I have a pretty tasty setup as is. I have a Wampler Euphoria going into BAT Black Forest, with a Boss PS-6 dialed in for a nice sharp pitch up sound that sounds like an angry elephant trumpeting. This all goes into a Mesa M9 Carbine, with the tube gain pushing the volume. It sounds raw and visceral, just like I want it... it is just too "organic" and straightforward sounding as is. It needs that tiny bit of electronic augmentation I spoke of above.

This brings my problem. I don't need an overpowering effect, I need something to keep on at all times and plays nice with the other kids in the pool. The Wampler and the BAT are incredibly transparent so I need a synth pedal that is as well. Despite all the chaos above, I can still hear my Bass' natural tone and feel and I don't want that to change if I add a pedal like this.

Anyone know of a pedal to fit this bill? Any filter or synth box is cool. Throw whatever you've got at me, I know nothing about pedals like these. Something preferably easy to find used though.

From reading the threads on here the Red Ripper was suggested, and after looking it up on YouTube it seems to work well. Is that a pedal that maintains its electronic bite + filtering even at lower volumes?

2. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Just saw this. A Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion.

http://youtu.be/dKEWgOc_IBM

I think I am in love. Anybody have experience with them?

3. Swift713

Swift713

Search and you will find

4. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Search on here? Already did.

My requirements are rather unique though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcnach

mcnach

It's a pretty unique distortion pedal, it sounds pretty useful for what you're after, a distortiony/synthy vibe.
    I used one in a funk band, together with an octave and a Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro... hours of fun :bassist:
    Add expression pedals (I did not) and you can get some really amazing sounds... as you probably know by now, if you've been looking at the Youtube demos :)

7. Swift713

Swift713

There are threads about the SAMWD if you search for them.

8. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

The used one I was scoping just got sold. Not too interested in that specific model now. Looking more towards the nonpro model, but I'm still not convinced it is what I want.

How about you make an actual suggestion instead of telling me to search over and over.

9. Swift713

Swift713

I'm sorry, I was just trying to clarify my earlier suggestion. I'm really not sure of the tone you're looking for. I get some interesting results from an MI Audio Pollyanna which sounds kind of like ripping Velcro by itself but does all kinds of cool stuff combined with filters, other dirt, etc.

10. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

It's ok. And yikes, that pedal does sound off just by itself.

Going by my suggestion in the OP, listen to this.
    http://youtu.be/fYtpobVmYY4

His patch has got that hollow, unforgiving coldness to it. I like that.

I want something with the metallic clang and grind of the lead synth but still retains the full, blooming pulse of the bass synth.

11. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Iron Ether Subterranea

12. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

The tone on that is perfect. Can you dial it back though so it plays well with OD?

13. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

ask in the dedicated thread, owners are more likely to see your question there.. I'm still waiting for mine

14. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Not liking the clips on their site and there is only one vid on YouTube of it.

15. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Confirmed Red Ripper and Bass Soundblox are in stock at a music store locally (those are the only two I could find local). Going to try them out tomorrow.

Will report back if it is in the ballpark of what I am looking for or not.

16. kmmcmill

kmmcmill

EHX bass micro synth. Duh!

17. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

http://youtu.be/3n9fl7T_DbU

This might work.

I'll give it a whirl. Is it really worth the price they ask for it?

18. obimark

obimark

How in the world is that a simple pedal?looks like it has 1000 possible settings...

19. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

I guess if you only use one slider it is simple. Reminds me of those pedals that never sound the same twice.

Not liking the YouTube clips though, too much Herbie Hancock going on.

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just got a Prunes & Custard yesterday, very unique and awesome sounding pedal. Has a cool synthy quality to it. I also have been using a lot of the syths in the Zoom 60b. Believe it or not, there are some really good ones in that little stomp. Maybe something to check out. Just my thoughts. Ive never been a big synth user but these have been pretty good to me so far and offer a lot in way of weird and odd synth sounds.

21. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Not into the Prunes and Custard, I don't like the sound of fuzz whatsoever.