Looking For A Sludgy, Gritty Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Leonidas33, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Leonidas33

Leonidas33

I've been playing guitar for years but only recently have i started playing bass. Im in a "hardcore" band and im looking for pedal(s) for a sludgy, gritty tone. I already have a ten band eq in my head so i find im able to dial in the low end and higher end string noise that i want, but i still cant get that sludge. Listen to the beginning of Landmines by Stray From the Path or the verses of Sword in Mouth, Fire Eyes by Norma Jean. This is the type of tone that im going for. Do i just need a distortion pedal (if so what are some good ones)? Or am i looking for more? Thanks.

2. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I just listened to Landmines from Stray From The Path (digging their RATM cover btw)I think with your 10 band EQ on the amp a Darkglass B3K would get you what you want.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

OFD and be done with it!!

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1.

IME, my B3K was more fizzy than gritty.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I disagree, especially on a passive bass. When I think of "fizzy" I think of the Boss Bass Overdrive. "Grindy" for sure, though. But it has a lot to do with the way people set the blend and what mode they are using.

I think there is more grind than fizz here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12413136&q=hi&newref=1

And imo it sounds warm here:
    https://soundcloud.com/centaurus_a/long-synth5-1

I think this one might sound gritty, though:
    https://soundcloud.com/centaurus_a/3chordcrunch

Or course, all of our ears are different, tone is subjective...and so on.:)

7. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, I couldn't dial in a single sound that I was happy with with my B3K so I got rid of it with no regrets

8. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I hear ya. That's happened with me so many times with a pedal I thought would surpass my expectations. I'd listen to a clip with a P bass and go "Oh, that's going to be so much brighter with my Ric" or whatever. And I came away totally surprised(not in a good way!)

9. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I know. there's so many members on here that swear by it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, so I finally gave in and bought a brand new one, only to find that it didn't float my boat at all.

10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm with ya on that one john.
    I was so excited to get my B3K, but the more I used it the more I realized it had a pretty nasty mid scoop and was quite fizzy.
    And especially after discovering (thanks to you) the Joyo Ultimate Drive, I found myself becoming quite disappointed with my B3K.
    However, I recently swapped my B3K for a VMT from Darkglass, now I'm a happy camper.
    That's the tone I was looking for.

11. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I like the "tin can" attack - a very metallic attack that guys like Billy Gould got in early early FNM. Hard maple basses with a pick and a solid state amp's distortion... it can be a very grating sound. I find most overdrives fizz out when going for this, and really haven't had much luck besides this pedal and the Rusty Box. For some reason, the mids on my Ric seem nicer with the B3K, where the Rusty has a "hole" there when I'm using a pick.

I can get warm sounds out of this pedal, but I really feel that its' strong point is the metallic attack it has.:)

12. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

The B3K has a bump in the high-mids that sounds weird when played solo but cuts through in a band situation. Especially with an Ernie ball 4 band EQ...

13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I t also has a mid scoop which is what bothered me about it.

14. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Strangely, I find myself cutting a little low mids after I record to get the sound I want. But I'm also using a GK800RB, an Eden 210T, an SM57, and a Ric.

All of these things have a ton of mids. And it took me a long time to even think about lowering my low mids. Once I did it, the tone I heard in my head and in recordings I liked just magically appeared. (FNM, Jesus Lizard...etc)

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

That first clip you've posted sounded pretty cool. it's got a darkwave kinda feel to it. is that from a song you wrote? whatever it is sounds pretty cool. :cool:

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I agree that the source audio ofd is a pretty good choice for a sludgy, gritty bass distortion. some of the distortion models on that pedal can easily give you that sound and many more.

17. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I looked up darkwave because I didn't recognize it, then realized I love post-punk and new wave and it's a combination of the two according to wiki. I love analog-ish synth mixed with grindy bass.

Thanks. That was me and one of my half-finished nothings:) I'm good at that procedure:p