1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for a solution to play bass in an apartment

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by yeah25, Nov 12, 2012.

1. yeah25

yeah25

Apparently I left my amps at my hometown and i'm looking for the new one. I saw people suggesting to buy a small mixer + headphones, moreover, can be combined with songs for practicing. Anybody knows what type of mixer that I should buy, where, and HOW to operate it? I have never operated a mixer before even for the small one. Thank you guys. Any kind of suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Seems overkill for just playing bass alone. Are you looking for something to be able to play with others, or alone?
  3. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

4. yeah25

yeah25

@jlepre: yeah im playing alone, but maybe I can use it in the future if i'm playing with my band...i think. I saw someone posting that he bought a small mixer ($35) and headphones, I was thinking that's great though considering I can playback my itunes/mp3 songs in the background.
    @drepper: wow, cool man. So I just need to plug in that device on my bass, and plug in headphones to that device?
  5. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The mixer you get depends on how much money you have to spend. Mackie makes some nice affordable ones. Other companies make less expensive ones. You pay for what you get, at the expense of features, tone, noise level, and quality. Costs can add up so it pays to do your homework, check out the products in detail, and then decide which tradeoffs you can accept. A good set of headphones is also required.

Whatever mixer you consider, look for one with a line (instrument) level input. Otherwise you will need to plug your bass into a DI and then the DI into the mixer.

Check out the Mackie 402 and 802 VLZ3 mixers which start at under $100, if you want to spend more, check out the Onyx 820i. An aux send is nice, this is like an effects loop. More expensive units have better EQ capabilities. Ones like the Onyx have digital IO that allows you to connect the mixer your computer. The sound quality is higher than going through an analog path.
  7. yeah25

yeah25

8. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Yeah25,

Most headphone amps that I have seen have an aux input for a CD or an MP3 player. This is great for rocking out, and also because many of the instructional books come with CDs.

The pocket Rocket has a few effects that are cool. It is pretty reliable, once you get one that works.

The Vox gets good reviews on Talkbass for it's tone.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=vox headphone amplifier

After dealing with the Pocket Rocket, I was all set to get one. I never got one because I got a good deal on the Tascam GT-R1 on sale. It really came in handy when I had to learn 10 songs in 6 days for a jazz session. You can slow songs down without changing pitch, and you can loop over the hard sections.

The mixer idea is great because you have options. I am still planning to get one.

An electric bass is called an "electric" bass for a reason. You need electronics to go with it.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Probably me. I use the mixer between my bass and my headphones...or between my bass and my laptop for recording. Bought it for like $37.91 off Amazon.

You don't really need a mixer, though. You could get a headphone amp. I didn't want one of those, so i got this mixer. It's similar prices either way.
  10. yeah25

yeah25

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

For under $100 you can get a bass pod. Play through that with headphones.
  12. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

That's the one...look around for a few options that fit your needs...

I have a pair of overly expensive Beats headphones that was a gift from my family. My wife uses those a lot, so I'm planning to get some Sennheisers like this one.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro/

I have been practicing with my group a lot recently, so I haven't used headphones much lately.

Disclaimer: I feel a little weird recommending things that I haven't actually tried yet, like the Vox amp and Sennheiser headphones, but they are on my radar to buy with my money.
  13. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

Korg PX series isnt bad and can be found cheap used. Has a bunch of effects, amp/cab modeling, aux in, headphone out, tuner, drum tracks, you can slow songs down if i remember correctly to help you track/learn them. If you were going to buy a mixer Id just get a cheap maudio fastrack or the like and plug direct into the computer with headphone out, maybe download guitar rig for effects and such. Or go on craigslist and get a cheap small combo amp and just play quietly. For headphones I just got Audio technicas ATH M30 (not the newest of that model but you can still find them, only revision in the M35 is that they are foldable) and they are quality. Read a bunch of cnet reviews on best headphones under 50 bucks and these seemed to be what I was looking for.
  14. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

To the OP... Don't forget, if you are needing to get an amp anyways, there are a few micro amps that have headphone and aux in capability. I rarely get a chance to rattle pictures off the walls at home so I got an amp that does loud and quiet practice.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've been using a Tascam GB10 for a couple of years. Usually sells for around $95.

Tascam GB10 Guitar Trainer with Recorder Features
    •1/4" guitar/bass input
    •Guitar/bass effects including amp modeling, delay, reverb, chorus and more
    •Records 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV files
    •Playback 16 or 24-bit WAV files or MP3 files
    •SD/SDHC card media slot with included 2GB card
    •Overdub recording allows sound-on-sound build up of an arrangement
    •Loop playback using dedicated buttons
    •Variable Speed Audition speeds up or slows down playback without changing the pitch
    •Chromatic Tuner and Metronome
    •USB 2.0 jack for high-speed music transfer
    •Dedicated keys and large LCD display for easy operation
    •Angled desktop design
    •Includes 2GB SD card, AA batteries, USB cable
    The GB10 includes a 2GB SD card for loading in your music collection. Variable Speed Audition allows musicians to independently change the speed and pitch of MP3 or WAV playback. The tabletop design is perfect for practicing almost anywhere. A tuner and metronome are also built-in for precision playback, and a footswitch input allows hands-free control.
  16. Vandy

Vandy

And, if you can get a drummer to move into the building, your "footprint" won't be as noticeable . . . :D
  17. gottliver

gottliver

Ampeg BA108/110. Nuff said.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it were me, I'd just buy a GK MB200. It's got an aux in, headphones out and it doubles as a great-sounding amp if you find occasion to play out (small venues or practice). It's $260, not much more than I payed for my Raven Labs PHA-1, which I would also recommend, if you can find one.
  19. seamonkey

seamonkey

If you have an iPhone, or a PC, then Add an audio interface and jam away.
  20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Wise.