Looking for a specific distortion sound - like the "bassman grind" sound on b-dec

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hags2k, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hags2k

hags2k

So, I've been looking for an (apparently) somewhat unique overdrive effect. Check out the fender demo video on YouTube for the effects on the b-dec - I love the bassman grind setting . Full sounding with some edgy buss that apparently leaves the lows and mids intact. Based on clips I've found, the closest I've heard seems to be the Aguilar tone hammer. I've got a vt bass now, and though it sounds cool, the overdrive tones are somewhat wooly... I can't get that same buzzy edge, at least not without compromises. There's a fine line between buzz and fart - I tend to use the vt for a much more subtle warmth, not for overdrive.

The overdriven sound on my genz Benz shuttle amp is actually pretty close, but I'd like to get that sound in a stand-alone stomp box so I can match levels. Simply overdriving my amp adds too much volume, and I don't need my fellow players yelling at me to turn down :D

If anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears.

edit: just to clarify, I want the sound for occasional use during performance, hence the need to match levels with my clean tone. I can't be fiddling with knobs on my amp during a show, I'm simply not fast enough to pull it off and I don't usually have a stagehand :)

2. makanudo

makanudo

Maybe the future Dargklass vintage micro tubes?

No demos available but you might wanna look into it

3. hags2k

hags2k

Though the style of music isn't my cup of tea, the videos on their site suggested a that it might have a pretty cool tone. Quite pricey, though, especially for the model with EQ and DI. I'll keep them in mind, but might be a little to much coin to take a chance on with my budget.

4. makanudo

makanudo

I think you are looking at the B3K and B7k. I was talking about the soon to be released (January) Vintage microtubes, which is like the current B3k but with an "era" knob.

From it's site:

The Microtubes Vintage doesn’t necessarily emulate a specific amplifier brand or model, even better, it recreates a much wider palette of characters! Anything from the smooth, warm and naturally compressed tone of the 70′s to the aggressive and punchy growl of the 90′s, plus everything in between!

Basically it gives you the sound of vintage amps through the years, but it's designer (a TB member actually), mentioned they took into account not just the amps but also the recording techniques used. There's a thread around this board, might wanna look into it.

Anyway good luck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hags2k

hags2k

Now THAT sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. If it lives up to the hype, that might be a must-buy.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

The demo vids I watched on the Correct Sound Eclipse seem to lean toward that sound.

8. Meddle

Meddle

Is that the Sunn Beta Bass preamp clone? From the demoes I've seen it seems to lack a certain bass response. Sweet tone though!

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

I listened through good head phones and the demo vid sounded like it had a lot of bass. I think the distortion in the tone, though, seemed to emphasize the upper harmonics, almost like there was an octave effect happening.

10. hags2k

hags2k

You might have something there. That might be why it sounds good to me - it seems difficult to distort low frequencies without getting a "farting" sound