1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a used GK amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnson79, Jan 5, 2014.

1. johnson79

johnson79

So I'm in the market for a used head and cab and would appreciate some guidance.

Thinking about a used 400, 800, or 700rb. I'd love the 800 or 700, but the price difference between that and a 400 is pretty broad. So my question is if the 400 would be powerful enough for a punk/hardcore band. I play a passive pj bass.

Probably going to be playing small bars and clubs. Thinking about a 4 ohm 410 cab. Maybe a 410hlf. What are your thoughts and experience on this setup?
    Is there another head I might want to think about? $200 is what I'd like to spend on it.
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

3. dannylectro

dannylectro

Hey there... I've played GK 400RB's through Ampeg 410's for years... I don't know how loud you really need to be, but I have never had a problem being heard over some pretty aggressive bands. In fact, I don't even drag the 410 around anymore - the 400RB is plenty loud through a modern 112 w/ horn for all but outdoor gigs. Oh... and that tone... !

Used to have the 800RB... didn't need it, and I actually prefer the 400RB tone, maybe because you can crank it a bit more. Also, all my cabs are 4 ohms - recommend them over 8 ohm for the 400.

Good 400RB's can be had for around $300. Go git 'em!
  4. johnson79

johnson79

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely looking for a 4 ohm cab. I don't think I'll need more than that. I'm going to be doing bar shows, so I think the 400rb and a 4x10 will do fine for me. I've seen them from $150 and up, so I'm just going to be on the lookout.
  5. og61pbass

og61pbass

I've had my GK 400RB since 1991,I used it with a Carvin 410 for many years then I replaced the Carvin with a 4ohm. Avatar B410..Great Rig and I have never had to turn it up past 1 oclock,its plenty loud when I need it I play passive Fender and Squier basses,the only active bass I have is a Ibanez ATK 300,this amp does it all...:)
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I used a 800rb for a year and it was way louder then I ever needed to be. A 400RB would have been fine
  7. og61pbass

og61pbass

The 800 is great for bi amping which i never do...
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, a G-K 400RB into a nice 4ohm 410 cab will totally rock.
  9. amana

amana

I've also used (and still use) the 400RBIII with 4 Ohm load (first an EBS Proline 410 and now a pair of Aguilar 112) and the amount of sound is enough to piss off at least 4 punk guitar players :)

A feature that I believe is not so good in the MBs is that the RB can take really hot input signals without clipping so the amplifier can produce very high output currents.
  10. johnson79

johnson79

Thanks guys, you rule. I feel pretty good looking for a nice used 400rb.
  11. og61pbass

og61pbass

4ohm.is also the way to go to get the max power out of that 400RB..Look at Avatar cabinets,they are nice and not too expensive they even make the lighter neo cabs now too...
  12. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Two GK NEO410 at 8-ohms per cab, will give you a really big noise.

All 8 drivers (32-ohm) are wired in parallel for maximum voltage applied to each driver.
    400RB-IV calculates to only 33.5 volts at 4 ohms, so max voltage to each driver is important.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

I'll definitely look into avatar or GK Neo. I was thinking about the 410hlf, but they don't seem to get much love. I'd really like 1 cab, so I'm looking for 4 ohm.
  14. jmlee

jmlee Supporting Member

15. MIMike

MIMike

++++all of the above. The more speakers you can run on it with a 4ohm total load the better. I think you can find one for very close to your budget. The good news is, they don't break very often so there's a good chance you will find one that works fine for your needs.
  16. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

I think a 400RB with a GK NEO 2x12 or NEO 4x10 will fulfill your needs!
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    OP.....Ich habe eine 400RB und eine 800RB.

If you have lots of speakers or big cabinets, like 215's, 412's, or 810's, the 400RB will do you fine with any of them.

If you are using a single 4ohm 410, I still think the 400 should do it, but then we're getting into "what is loud enough" and do you like your loud to be able to be "cleanish" when you want to or growling all the time?

700RB gives you both whenever you want, it's a great amp, but it's not quite the same as the old 400's and 800's....those are hard to beat.

FWIW, I used to use an 800, now I use a 400, just so I can crank it to kingdom come and still get asked back. ;)
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A GK amp and a sealed Ampeg cab full of 10's is a thing of beauty. The 410hlf.....not so much, IMO. The GK amp helps "undo" a little of their mud, but not enough, IMO.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Anyone have an opinion on an Avatar 2x12 4 ohm? Or would a 4x10 be a better fit? I like a ballsy sound. Not clean, but not overdriven. Am I on the right path?
  20. amana

amana

I have tried many many cabs and the best sounding one with the GK was the EBS 410 Evolution Proline 2000. Amazingly loud, great bottom end, but still defined, clear and growly. It cuts through the mix wonderfully and does not interfere with other instruments so in a band it is just perfect. Why I changed it? Because it weighted almost 90 lbs. New ones are a bit lighter but not much (78 lbs).
    For a gigging bassist, I prefer to use 2 1x12 cabinets. Moving them is much easier than a 212, and that configuration gives me a lot of flexibility. I can take 1 cab to small gigs, and with two it is enough to play anywhere.