Looking For A Very Specific Kind Of Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I'm looking for a way to get a certain tone, and I don't know where to begin. If it belongs in the amp section, which it may, lemme know, please!
    For refferences, I'm looking to get something like the sound Shayley Bourget had when he played bass in Of Mice & Men, the sound Ghost has with Motionless In White. That "metal" or "metalcore" tone with the weird, "clangy" high end and punchy lows. I can recognize it instantly, I love it, I just have no clue where to start when it comes to using it myself.
    For starters, I have a small Ampeg combo, Squier Jazz Bass Standard, and a MXR Bass Compressor.
  2. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

Disclosures:
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    google those bassists and their gear preferences.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Sometimes, to achieve a big sound, you need a big amp. It's not always possible to get such a big sound out of what amounts to a small practice amp.
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

They probably use a scooped tone (lots of bass no mids lots of treble). Also you are going to want brand new stainless steel round wound strings like daddario pro steels or Rotosound swingbass strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

When I hear lows and clangy I think of the sansamp BDDI.

I know it's old and not exciting but it really is a rock/metal tone work horse.

I prefer to get a little bit of dirt elsewhere though. I don't like they was the BDDI distorts but the baked in EQ voicing is superb for that sound.
  7. woodyng

woodyng

Sounds like you're describing the tone of a Rick bass with Rotosound steel rw's.