looking for advice on bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by outoftune, Nov 26, 2013.

1. outoftune

outoftune

I am in the markwt for a new bass rig. I currently have a Markbass 121p combo with a new york 121 extension cab which I absolutely love. The reason for a new rig is I fear I will not have enough volume live with the current setup. I have jammed a couple times with various bands, some way louder than others, and it seems I have to push the volume a bit to be heard. Maybe its placement more than actual volume, I'm not sure. Anyway, I am looking for another rig with a bit more balls and found this set up near me. http://ithaca.craigslist.org/msg/4163647024.html What kind of info can you give me on the Eden Traveler paired with the Ampeg 610? Specifically the Eden. I like a bit of growl behind my bass and ha e been using a sansamp to get that. Will the Eden give me that sound?

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

IME, the Eden 550 is a very clean, warm, loud amp; no growl, though.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go GK (Gallien Krueger). They make some wonderful amps and cabs that can have tons clean headroom if you want or all the growl you can handle. Check out their 700RB or 1001RB for more clean headroom an not as much growl. The 700 is a growly ol' cuss. My $.02

4. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

I've been gigging an Aguilar TH500 and two SL112 cabs since October 2011 and, coming from a "big rig" with an 8x10 cab, I admit I was surprised at how well the 1x12 cabs kept up - I've never had to push the volume past 1 o'clock on the TH500 and have been plenty loud in a loud original rock band. While I've never gigged your setup, I have played it at GC and it would get very loud if needed - certainly comparable to my Aguilar rig that I have gigged extensively.

As for the Ampeg 610-HLF cab, it's not one of my favorites. That and the 410-HLF cabs are, for me, way too boomy and muddy but with the 610 seeming even moreso to my ears. So, personally, I wouldn't see that setup bringing any benefit because I would think the Markbass rig you have would be much more punchy and articulate with the 610 being more bass heavy, boomy and difficult to hear within a live setting. I have no experience with the Eden but, as mentioned, they are not known for being very "growly" amps but neither is Markbass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You have 500 watts through a pair of 12's now, which is plenty enough for many of us. If you need more, think more about the spkrs than the wattage. 500 watts is plenty loud if you used an 8x10 for example. Never skimp out on the spkr cabs.