Looking for an acoustic bass - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I'm trying to get an acoustic project going and I'd like an acoustic bass.

I love the Ibanez SR neck, so ideally something with a jazz nut and a skinny profile would be good, and something with a nice low action. I don't know how to set up an ABG :oops:

Any suggestions?

I'd like to try a fender kingman bass but heard the profile of those necks are quite chunky despite the slim width - any thoughts on that?
  2. dantheman2

dantheman2 Supporting Member

3. ncapone

ncapone

I have a kingman, and you're right about the chunkiness. It's not too unwieldy to be unplayable if you're used to a jazz, but it's definitely noticeable.
  4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Thanks guys.

Any more suggestions?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I am subscribed too. I have tried a few I didn't like at the store...most either are difficult to play or difficult to hear acoustically.
  7. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Go with a semi acoustic like a Carvin AC40 or AC50 and a small amp. I have a AC40F fretless that I use when playing with acoustic players. It sounds great with tape wound flats. It has a piezo pickup and has a very woody sound.
  8. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

i've owned several acoustic basses over the years. currently i own a breedlove acoustic and it's as good as any. however, if you are looking for an acoustic that will keep up (unplugged with acoustic guitars) you will need to spend some serious coin and look at either a guild or ernie ball earthwood acoustic. really doesn't make sense to me, unless you have tons of cash and just need to launder some of it... we play a lot before concerts and i would love to have a louder acoustic bass, without dragging out my upright, however, seems that they are few and far between. looking back i wish i had kept my light and nimble fender rad bass amp to simply plug my breedlove into... probably the best scenario in the long run...
  9. donn

donn

[​IMG]

Anything along these lines should do. Even this is really a little undersized, honestly, for acoustic support of a bass E string.
  10. MD

MD

What's your budget? New? Used? $400-800 puts you in the Boulder Creek, Takamine, Breedlove, Warwick Alien zone.
    Under that puts you in the Dean/Ibanez zone and there's nothing wrong with that, as many here like there Iby's and Deans.

Keep in mind, the "nice low action" you're looking for with certainly have an affect on the ABG's acoustic volume. NBG if you know you'll be plugging in, like playing live gigs and such.
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Boulder Creek!
  12. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I'm gonna ask - why do you want an ABG?

If it's for an acoustic style sound, I'd recommend either a hollow or semi-hollow as others have suggested, or something like the Tacoma Thunderchief or Boulder Creek Basses.

However, if it's simply something to play that's light and doesn't require a plug I MUST, MUST, MUST recommend the battery powered Roland Micro Cube Bass amp. 6AA batteries, models several different classic amps, has effects and a built in drum machine, and it lasts a while on battery power. It also plugs into the wall, so you can play it however you want. LOVE that amp, and you can plug whatever bass you want into it.
  13. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28 Supporting Member

I am selling my Tacoma Thunderchief. PM for details.
  14. MD

MD

^^^
    I'd be real tempted if it were fretless, had the coin and needed another ABG.
  15. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

16. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

A few years back I spent about 3 months trying every ABG I could get my hands on. This included the Martin, Breedlove and Taylor. The only one that could hold its own acoustically was the Tacoma. I bought it and played it for a few years and as long as the guitar players were a bit gentle it was fine.

The only real problem was the strings. Anything other than Exilers hampered the volume greatly. They seemed to last about 6 months an then go dead. At 50.00 a pop that can get old.