looking for an amp like ampeg's svt-cl

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Unemploid, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Unemploid

Unemploid

what's an affordable combo amp or head that sounds like the Ampeg Classic Series SVT-CL?

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svtcl/

play my gretsch g5123b on this and they love each other, but i can't afford their love.

any suggestions? btw, doesn't have to be tubed.

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Never got to really play an SVT-CL other than trial in a music store, so I'm not as familiar with its nuances, but the obvious answer would probably be any of the Ampeg PF series. I've seen people comment on it being a close SVT that's not an SVT.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Tech21 VT into something uncoloured.

4. Unemploid

Unemploid

i like the pf series but one blow up on me, i've been told they do that. it's something i can live with if i know how to take care of it and repair it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Depends. There is an entire monster of thread on here that details the PF500's blowing up, including responses on why it does and how it's a crappy amp, and retorts on why it's fixed and isn't an issue anymore or isn't an issue if you are hip to why it craps out. People seem to not have the same issues with the PF800 for what it's worth. That's what I own. Have you looked into other Ampeg SVT series (used) like the 7 Pro, etc?

7. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I heard that the out of production B100R or B50R Ampeg Combo's were the best SVT sound out of any combo of its size. So if you can find one, (I see them between $275 and $400 on CL) grab one.

Other than that, as previously stated, a VT Bass pedal into anything can get you set.

9. wshines1892

wshines1892

I've had great luck getting SVT tone out of TC Electronics RH heads, but I'm also not too hip to the nuances between the different types of SVTs. I dime the tube emulator on mine though, turn up the master and use the gain, and it does a great job to my ears emulating the way the power section breaks up.

Only word of caution is that the low control is a shelf style eq at a decently high frequency, somewhere around 200hz. Because of that, if you're not mindful or willing to learn how to use the eq properly, it can sound a bit muddy through the wrong cab. Ive found sealed back cabs that naturally filter the mega lows help immensly. A TC and RH with an SVT210AV or two would sound huge, with minimal weight and cost.

10. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

I have an B-100R and it defo has the "ampeg" tone... but I would say more B-15 than SVT.

11. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

I have an SVT-CL, sounds exactly like an SVT-CL

I also have Tech-21 Bass driver deluxe, I wouldn't say that gives the same sound as a driven SVT-CL. At least, I didn't think so

12. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I swapped my SVT classic for an Orange Terror Bass 1000. I like the Orange better and it's only tube pre amp and class D solid state power

13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

An old, beat up Ampeg V4 can usually be had for ~$600

14. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

What's affordable for you, OP?

15. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Maybe try an SVP pro preamp (used around 300) through a used class d power amp also around 300. I have used this setup and it kills, great SVT vibe.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

That's the important question. Used SVT-CLs can be had for $800-1000 all day. That's not a bad investment for a pro quality head.

17. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I've spent plenty of time and money looking for a lightweight SVT.
    I have an SVT-CL
    The SVP preamp with an Ampeg big iron power amp is not as close as my 7 Pro.
    I have ABC'd these with an Ampeg selector and the closest thing to the King is the 7 Pro.
    A Rev C can be found for between $500-600 used.

A Walkabout is somewhat close.
    Have not A/B'd with the PF series.

As I recall, John K also rent the 7 Pro was about as close as you can get.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think all Ampeg amps except the B2RE/SVT 450H and their descendants have a lot of that SVT vibe, but none of them have it exactly except the other tube amps Ampeg makes. But even their BA series amps have a lot of that vibe.

19. Unemploid

Unemploid

wow thanks for all the replies. some really cool stuff to look up. under $1000 for head and cab would be great. v4 sounds very interesting.

What you guys think of the ampeg pf-30 with pf-410hlf?