1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for an half stack to play various styles

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ACtrubeats, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

I'm in the market for a new setup. I play everything from 60's motown james jamerson/bob babbit stuff to afro-cuban, jazz, funk, modern rock and all in between. I have a budget of about $750 - $900 to spend. Can any of you guys help me out? Thanks! :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are only about 500 different rigs you can get ;) I might suggest taking a look at stuff made by my friends at Ampeg, but that kind of money should be able to get you something pretty decent, especially if you go used.
  3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

an 810 is a half stack imo :bassist:
  4. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

You, Sir, are a rocker!
  5. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Perhaps try Gallien Krueger or Ampeg - either a 410 or 212 cabinet.
  6. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

7. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

I was actually considering that one. I played a pf 350 head out of a 115 at a guitar center and really really liked it. I've seen some used ampeg rigs I liked, an svt iii out of an unnamed ampeg head but I'm just weighing my options, thanks!
  8. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

I've been looking at some ampegs actually. Hmmm care to elaborate? Any good suggestions?
  9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Your best best is to buy used...lots of stuff out there great deals to be had...

However if i were buying absolutely new and didn't require a particular name on my equipment....i would go this route

[​IMG]

paired with this

[​IMG]

Which together sits right in the middle to upper end of your budget range (about $850.00)

or this setup

[​IMG]

which comes in just under your $750 low end mark

or this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whic comes in at about $700.00

good luck Happy Hunting
  10. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

This! Used, and I'd lean GK, but that's obviously your call.
  11. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

You guys are great, thanks!
  12. makanudo

makanudo

That Hartke + Avatar seems pretty good! I might consider it for myself.
  13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I was an SWR guy back in the 90s. I've been using the tech 21 sans amp rbi for about a decade and versatility is a big part of it. I don't even have to mess with EQ on it anymore, I have my 'rock" tone dialed in with the blend at about 2 oclock, then if I want want a cleaner more modern tone for slapping or whatever I just turn the blend down to about 11oclock and by doing so it mixes in more of the dry bass signal. My main bass has an aguilar obp3 onboard pre and I can get a lot of variation there as well.