1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for an interface that comes with Protools Express

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jan 13, 2014.

1. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions. Basically, I'm looking for an interface that comes with ProTool express because the guy I'm working with has ProTools and we would like to be able to share projects.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the M-Audio M-Track Plus and the Mbox 3 Mini. I'm leaning towards the M-Track because it has two XLR inputs which may come in handy when recording double bass.

Any reason I should consider the Mbox over the other? Is there anything else out there that should be on my radar?

Also, kind of off the subject, I'm looking for a good introductory large diaphragm microphone. How is the Audio-Technica AT2020 for $80?
  2. canshaker

canshaker

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hartke/Zoom/ESP/D'Addario/Line 6/Dunlop/Normandy.
    You don't need proprietary Avid hardware anymore. Pro Tools works with 3rd party hardware now. I recommend the Apogee Duet2. It sounds amazing. Just get the Pro Tools software.
  3. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

Thanks for the suggestion but that's out of my price range. Budget is no more than $400 for interface and microphone. The M-Track at AT2020 put me in at under $250 and that's with software.
  4. Timi

Timi

Pro Tools works with any hardware, but the OP is talking about Pro Tools Express which only works with a select few of their cheaper interfaces.

The Mbox 3 range is quite good for the price, I would assume better than the M Track (never tried one) but if you're on a budget...

I tried an AT2020 once, seemed ok for the price but for not much more the CAD M179 is actually quite a decent mic.
  5. Major Softie

Major Softie

The Mini only has 1 preamp, even though it can accept 2 inputs at once, so only one mic.

Mini has no MIDI.

Mini has no S/PDIF

I'd definitely go with the M-Track.
  6. DonaldR

DonaldR

Have you looked for a used Eleven Rack? Bought mine new for $699 with full Protools 10. I think it's one of the best way to record bass (with or without Ampeg SVT model) and guitar.
  7. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

My thoughts were the same. I'm guessing that in that price range ($150 or so), all the interfaces are going to have pretty much the same sound quality. The fact that M-Track has two XLR inputs (as opposed to 1 XLR and 1 1/4in) opens up the possibility of recording the double bass with two mics.

I'm being cheap, but I like how the Mbox and M-Track come with ProTools express. I'm not going to be recording enough to justify purchasing the full blown ProTools. This will be used only to overdub bass tracks onto songs. I doubt I'll ever be recording multichannel (except for maybe using two mics).
  8. Major Softie

Major Softie

And, Express really isn't bad, and learning it familiarizes you with the layout of Pro Tools. I don't remember what the other "Pro Tools Lite" version is, but it isn't very close to the real thing - Express is.
  9. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

If anyone is interested, I ended up going with a M-Tracks and the AT2020. This is my first attempt into record so I guess I really don't know what good and bad is. But, to my ear, it sounds pretty darn good for the price. I'll try to post some clips up sometime.

Been playing around with PT Express a bit and got the hang of what I need to do (setting levels, choosing inputs, punching in and edit, simple editing). Honestly, PT Express is probably way more than I need. But, for free, I'm not complaining at all.
  10. Major Softie

Major Softie

"Included" is not "free." ;)

When I was looking this up, some places appeared to have only the box for $50 cheaper when it was not packaged with Express. Still a good deal though.