Looking for an upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by musician17, Dec 19, 2012.

1. musician17

musician17

Hiiiiiiiiii. I've been playing upright bass for 6 years and I am ready to move on from a student model. What are specific basses that I should be looking into? My budget is 1800. I am NOT looking for student basses. More along the next level above a student bass.

Thanks!
    -Gabby T.

2. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

You might need to add a zero.

3. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

Hahaha lol. But seriously, your going to need at least double that 1800 but then it still depends.

4. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Depends, what kind of "student" bass do you have? My "student" instrument ran me around 1200, with a bag and crappy bow, and that's literally as cheap as you can go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musician17

musician17

My bass is currently a cheap school bass that my school had given to me.
    What are some step ups from a student bass? What about Becker? Is that worth anything?

7. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus

Check out the newbie guide here.

I think a good suggestion is something like a Shen Hybrid (SB 150). That will run a little over your budget, but not so much that you can't save up for it. Check out some pics of an SB 150 here: http://www.nicklloydbasses.com/shen-sb150-hybrid.php

Also, what is this Becker you're referring to?

8. Champagne

Champagne

Have you considered having your bass worked on? Have you ever had it worked on? Your price range really doesn't lend itself to a big selection of things. Like crowsmengegus said, read the stickies of the forum, check out a shen 150 (personally I have mixed feelings about them after trying a few) and really consider getting a tuneup on your bass. A good tuneup with a fresh set of strings can make a HUGE difference in sound and playability.

Check out http://www.fretwellbass.com/

9. musician17

musician17

It's a Becker Satin Brown Symphony Series. Can be found here: http://www.playmusic123.com/Becker Symphony Series Upright Bass, 5000~product~879.htm
    Although, I will not be ordering it through a website, but a catalog.

10. gottliver

gottliver

That pretty much defines a student bass. A hybrid would be the next step up, though still a student bass.

11. jnel

jnel Guest

Mu17-i am in about the same situation. From everything that i have heard and read, a hybrid bass would be a logical next step. Shen has some really good hybrids that you might want to check on with your nearest bass shop. You might be able to get a hybrid by trading your current bass plus maybe $2000.

Good luck!

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

I'd be really really wary about buying an instrument over the Internet and not in person and through someone who specializes in basses.

As for particular instruments, I would highly recommend a Shen of any kind. They're pretty much the best you can do in that price range.

13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

...but most of them in that price range are considered student basses.

14. jnel

jnel Guest

mu17-i clicked onto the link you provided- you don't have to be an expert to see that the Becker pictured is a very cheaply made bass- it most likely would be a downgrade from what you are now playing- it looks cheap, it will most likely sound cheap and you might be able to get a decent sound out of it but you would have to spend a few hundred for upgrades on strings, bridge- need i say more

Go Shen or Upton, or anything that you can play before you buy-if you will really look, you can probably find a hybrid or even a fully carved used bass that you might be able to buy.

ordering out of country- just too risky

15. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

This

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Yup. Anything "advanced" would be more... And depending on your definition of advanced, a hell of a lot more.

17. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Disclosures:
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Gabby,
    My recommendation is firstly only buy what you can play first. My second recommendation is buy from a bass dealer or reputable violin shop. In VA there is:
    Brobst Violins in Alexandria
    Day Violins in Herndon
    Wolf Instruments in The Plains

And a bit north of there is Bob's House of Basses
    And a bit south in Greensboro is The Bass Violin Shop.

A little phone work with these shops will let you know what's available out there. Then you can check brand names and so on here to see what folks think. None of the above will carry anything like the Becker, that thing honestly looks like a recipe for disaster. If you're going to buy a plywood bass, get one from a dealer who knows their stuff.

Another tactic to employ is to let everyone you know and their sister that you are looking for a bass. There may be a nice piece near you that's been in someone's closet that they may sell for a very reasonable price.

18. groooooove

groooooove

me too

anything a step up you'd want to be at least in the $3k range i'd think

t

19. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

What are you playing now?

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    This. Knowing more about the OP's bass is the only way for anybody to say what the next step might consist of.

21. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I think this must be addressed first as it's essentially contradictory, especially if what's being considered is a new instrument. Call them what you will, "student basses," entry-level," whatever. $1800 cannot be expected to fetch anything above that category. This has been pointed out by others here.