Looking for doom/stoner with sax and/or piano

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nashrakh, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Hey fellow TBers,

In search of inspiration for my own band project, I'd like to tap the collective knowledge of TB to toss some recommendations my way.

I'm looking for doom or stoner bands that incorporate genre-untypical instruments like saxophone or piano (I know the latter has been on Electric Wizard's Let Us Prey. Especially those two as I play them myself. :) (Guitarist of my last band and I are starting up an originals band crossing the genres of doom and jazz; right now we are composing music to various short stories of a rather dark nature. Biggest influences are EW, Bohren, Earth, Dexter Gordon, Wayne Shorter, Davis, Hypnos 69 and various other associated acts. We play all the instruments, him on guitar and drums, me on bass, sax, piano - suffice it to say we are probably more of a studio band doing weird stuff twiddling knobs than a bar band)

The only thing that comes somewhat close is a band called Fertility Cult: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5wuMo-xLw

Any recommendations are welcome, or if you can point me in the direction of a band database where I might find something, that'd also be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mc_muench

mc_muench

Run the sax and piano through a Bluebeard muff and a full stack that's dimed, and I think it'll be heavy as shvt.

Rev DOOM

3. NightCat

NightCat

4. NightCat

NightCat

You should look into the band Morphine. Slide bass, sax and drums. Mark Sandman RIP was a genius.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Thanks, I'll check out your recommendations when I have a pair of headphones nearby. One band that also fits the bill is Swami Lateplate: m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-MOKcBb9w

They are a drums, bass, piano trio in the vein of Bohren (Sunset Mission era) but with a sparser arrangement.

7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

I think you're on the right track with Hypnos 69. Check out the band Astra, they're similar floyd-prog-style. Core's album "the hustle is on" has some jazz influences. Hawkwind had a sax player, as did the stooges in the early days. Bitches Brew era miles Davis would be another place to look. I know there's more but that's all I've got off the top of my head at the moment.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    Happy Apple, maybe...

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I have the mentioned record and the Davis CD Live at the Fillmore East March 7 1970 and on it they play a slowed-down version of Bitches Brew. Holland's sound on that one has to be THE precursor of doom sounds that incorporate wah. Super heavy stuff.