1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Looking for ebony hat pin tuning pegs

Discussion in 'Wanted: Double Basses, Amps, & Accessories' started by sq105, Jan 2, 2014.

1. sq105

sq105 Country Squire Supporting Member

Hi, would anybody know where I could find some ebony tuning pins in the "hat peg" style. I have the gears, just need some pins and hoping its easier to buy rather than make them from scratch.
    thanks very much!!

2. jnathanj33

jnathanj33 There are two kinds of music, Good and Bad.

3. sq105

sq105 Country Squire Supporting Member

Those tuners from Lemur Music are so beautiful Nathan!! Thank you for this info.

I needed to replace my boxwood pegs main reason to improve tone. I ended up buying a used wood lathe. A lovely day trip for my sweetheart & me to pick it up. An afternoon to perfect my technique and another afternoon to turn & fit the ebony dowels. Was quite easy to do. The ebony dowels allowed only 1 mm excess length though - think they were 6" to start.
    IMG_9430.JPG
    Because the "hat" portion is bigger diameter and would have cost quite a bit more in raw material, I cut off the old boxwood hats and glued to the end of the ebony pegs.
    IMG_9436.JPG
    Then pinned each hat with hardwood dowel & dyed all black. The birch dowel goes about 1/4" into the ebony peg.
    IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    All that hassle worth it in the end - the new tuners are custom fit, and I'm happy with improvement in the tone. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014