Looking for first bass guitar!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KatatoniaTwin, Nov 17, 2012.

1. KatatoniaTwin

KatatoniaTwin

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you guys can help me out a bit. I'm interested in playing bass, and I'm looking for my first bass, but I'm not sure what I want yet. I like metal music, so I'm looking for something that would work with metal (thrash, death, black, etc.). I've decided that I want a black 5 string bass, but I have no idea what model I should get.... if you guys can recommend me some nice 5 string basses that aren't too heavy (in weight), and have decent durability for possibly playing gigs in the distant future :), in the 100-300 price range, I'd love that! Thanks!
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Finding a bass is like finding a girl. You have to date a few before you find the right one.

In the price range you're looking in, I'd say go used. Ibanez and Squire make good entry level stuff.
  3. KatatoniaTwin

KatatoniaTwin

Any certain Ibanez models you think would be good?
  4. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I am a beginner bassist and play both a Squier P-bass, & an Ibanez gsr200. Out of the two, I swear by the Ibanez. The neck is so easy to play on, & it sounds awesome.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KatatoniaTwin

KatatoniaTwin

Yeah, I was looking at the Ibanez gsr205, and I heard it is a pretty nice bass. That's might be one of my options when I do buy.
  7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

This is a killer deal right now and I think the active humbucker is best for metal :D :
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0328700
    I like the Candy Apple Red (AKA blood red ;)) better than the black myself.
  8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Used ibanez sr505.

/thread
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

10. RoadRanger

11. Hactar

Hactar

Many people really like the Squier Vintage Modified line of basses.
    The Ibanez GSR line is nice, I started on a GSR200 and still love that bass. A GSR205 is a very solid bass.
    Also, you can sometimes find a Yamaha RBX for <$50, and I think those are killer beginner basses. Indestructible and thin neck, if you happen to like that sort of thing.

But really, Phalex is right. Play a couple and see what you fall in love with.
  12. RonniePudding

RonniePudding

In your price range, I'd agree w/ Phalex you'd probably be best going with something used...

Probably the most important thing will be to find an instrument that's comfortable to you -- the scale length and shape and width of the neck are all factors there, as well as weight. No one can advise you on that point... got to go out to your local music stores and play as many as you can until you find one that feels right.

My second and third basses were USA-made Peaveys, from the 90's, and I still have them. They're nothing fancy, but they're very reliable and solidly built... and not very expensive for what you get. The necks on those are thin and narrow at the nut, -- which I like, but again, you may not.

I've heard people talk very positively about Yamaha's as well, and it sounds like they have a similar level of build quality and reliability.

Can you provide more criteria to help narrow things down a bit? If not, you'll get a different answer from almost everyone, -- or worse, very few answers at all.

When you say you're looking for a bass that would "work with metal", are you going for a particular tone, or are you talking appearance?
  13. KatatoniaTwin

KatatoniaTwin

What would the advantage to playing a thin neck compared to playing a neck that isn't so thick?

Oh, and when I said that I want it to work with metal, I was talking about both appearance and tone. Tone wise, I want something that can play lower and deeper tones, for possibly playing death metal and similar music. Yeah, I probably should've added that to the OP. lol. One of the reasons I like 5 strings is that I like how it gives you a bit more versatility in tone, etc. I'm not dead set one getting a 5 string, but I'd prefer it.

Thanks for all the replies!
  14. Kilometers

Kilometers

Backing this. I used to own a GSR and I definitely regret selling it. Sure it was extremely basic but for the money I don't think you can do much better.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

the Ibanez are just amazing, and a super deal used. I just bought my 3rd one, an SR-400. The necks are truly the easiest to play, unless you have HUGE hands and need an old P bass!

For a 5-er. you will probably get a better bass for the money with an Ibanez, new or used.
  16. KatatoniaTwin

KatatoniaTwin

Out of curiousity, if I was to spend a little bit more, like around 400-700 dollars (which I'm not going to do, just theoretically), what bases would be good for that price range? Throw out my current criteria, I'm just interested in knowing what some of you guys like for basses in that price range...
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I think I would still stick with the Ibanez - they are active, with a battery and preamp. This means that you can have boost as well as cut on the tone controls, and also have bass, mid and treble controls to control your sound better. The new Ibanez 505 - I think it is called the SRXQ 505 or something like that is getting great review.
  18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Well...

Throwing out your criteria?

If you look and are patient an American Fender can be had at the upper end of that spectrum. I like Schecters in your price range. I have a Schecter C-4 XXX which you can find used for $350. It defititely has the image and plays nice. It is a four stringer though. A lot of people will point you at the Squier Vintage Modified series and they give a lot of bang for the buck if you really want to buy new.

Good luck.
  19. leegreenman

leegreenman

20. RoadRanger

21. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Speed. That's it in a nutshell.

The Ibanez SR500 was touted (and decidedly so) to be a speed metal freak's shred machine and I believe it.

The reasons for my purchasing it go totally out of the realm of having anything to do with metal.

The SR500 and up series is/are sleek, sophisticated, ergonomic, light weight, powerfully voiced (active electronics) and good looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alas, with the Elixir Nanos on it and also on my Fender Deluxe Jazz, they both sound pretty much the same. Just one has a sophisticated snob appeal where the other is perceived as brash, raucous and less sophisticated.

In the snobby Wine-N-Cheese rooms I played in SoCal, the Fender was not appreciated whereas the Ibanez was. Go figger.