1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for first "Real" Rock bass amp and Cab Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DZeet, Apr 2, 2014.

1. DZeet

DZeet

Hey,
    I'm looking for my first real bass amp and cab for rock bass tones as I just got into a 90's rock cover band and I'm looking at either Ampeg or Mesa. I'm going for a 90's rock sound similar to AIC and other 90's rock groups. I play a 80's Kramer Spector With OBP-2 Aggie and I'm looking at 2 choices for my 3K limit on dough. This:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-svt-bass-amp-half-stack

or This:

Mesa M6/9 with PH410 or 6x10

I'm curious as I've tried ampeg stuff before but never really got to take the time to get to know the sounds but I know they do the "Classic Spector Growl" pretty well. What about the mesa stuff?
    If Further Info is needed I can provide. Honest experienced opinions preferred!
    Cheers!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Both Mesa and Ampeg will do it for you. Some folks like Ampeg, some folks like Mesa. Me, I know it's a surprise, but I like Ampeg ;)

3. DZeet

DZeet

okay.
    My biggest concern is wasting my money. I've only got 3K
    I've heard these problems with Ampeg and I'm not sure they were ever resolved:

1)Newer PRO heads (2,3,4,7) spend more time on the bench
    than being used on stage (aka: Out of the box and on to the bench syndrome):(
    2)I wanna be loud but not TOO loud. Would The 4 Pro used with one 8x10E would be too much for a rehersal at moderate volume?
    (I've heard it only works Mono-Bridge at FULL POWER when you only hook 1 Cab to it or does ampeg make a head with a tube preamp that wont destroy my windows with the Master set above 2?)
    3) Sealed or Unsealed? I can only choose 1 cab and it has to match brands with the head. The cab has to be able give me the upper end grind I need while still being punchy and deep sounding. I hear the HLF's go to "Mud" due to porting and the non ported cabs are "Farty". Clarification needed I'm dumb with cabs lol.

I'd love to go ampeg but I'm concerned about QC and having more watts than I will need or ever use. Opinions are sadly going to make or break this deal for me due to travel expenses.

4. DZeet

DZeet

Also I forget to let the other TB'rs know that I usually run my current setup like this:

Bass>VT Bass Pedal>Solid State TC Electronic BG250 1x15 Amp.
    I've only used solid state single channel amps before as I never had a need for a bigger amp untill now. I am stupid when it comes to how to hook up a "real" amp. I don't wanna buy all this **** then find out that I don't have the know how not to shock my ass to death while turning it on or hooking it up. The SVT 4 pro scares and confuses the **** out of me with all those crazy connector jacks on the back! is the SVT-3 pro "Grunge Rock" Approved and easy to hook up? Sorry If me being a dumbass does not help.:confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    1. It is true that Ampeg has had a couple models that had problems out of the gate (7 Pro and PF500), but they have been revised to where they don't break down any more than any other amps. They're all solid well-made amps overall IMHO.

2. It will be if you turn it up all the way, but they have volume knobs and are just as capable of running quietly as loudly.

3. Sealed or unsealed should be decided on a cab-by-cab basis, as there are cabs made both ways that will defy your expectations completely. I'm more of a fan of the cabs Ampeg makes like the 810e and 410he that are higher tuned than the HLF cabs, but they have them in both ported and sealed models. Likewise, they have cabs in both ported and sealed that go very low. Newer 410hlf's don't sound as muddy to me as older ones, but since they go super low, the potential is there depending on your EQ. But I don't hear the sealed cabs as farty even a little.

4. The 3 Pro is pretty straightforward for hooking up. For that matter, the 4 Pro isn't hard to hook up, although it does have more hookup options. But you can easily figure out the best way to hook it up for your needs, even if you're a dumbass.

:D

7. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

for that kind of money you could have a top shelf ampeg svt /810....having too much power is way better than finding yourself without enough....and if you fart one of those it's you,not the amp....qc issues are a thing of the past,i'm told......personally i would go used.... i just got a really cherry svt av for a g note....810's are a tad pricier here than in the states but,for 15 hundred you could have a gig worthy amp/cab that will fill any room,.....there is/are reason(s) why they are in so many back line riders....

8. DZeet

DZeet

Cool.
    I was thinking of getting a 4x10HLF and 3 Pro Stack.
    I play my Spector with a Pick.
    I am worried the way I push the Gain (Usually set between 1-3 O'Clock) will make the master go 1-2-11. Does that Happen with the 3 Pro at 4 Ohms running ONE 4 Ohm Cab?
    The 4 Pro seems like it would be TOO much due to it forcibly
    having to run in Mono-Bridged mode to ONE cab. I mean 1600W is OVERKILL for us. Is there a way to cut the power down with one 4x10hlf cab to say half? so I can get the most out of my tube preamp?:confused: I don't wanna get the cops knockin.....

9. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

i often play my svt /ph610 mesa and can hear the tv announcer .....they sound great at low volumes too,and while i have other smaller amps i could use to noodle on while watching my beloved cowboys,it's that sound ....

10. DZeet

DZeet

Sorry but Time prevents me from looking at used gear. Its new or Bust. I'm playing Nothing larger than a small/medium
    rock gig at this point and there are no amp techs within a 100 mile radius.

11. DZeet

DZeet

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-svt-bass-amp-half-stack

Yeah Its a little overpriced BUT....would this work on a Budget?
    I just want a Nice Growling sound in terms of tone. I play with a Pick too. Worth the money for my first rock bass rig? Some say its "Underpowered" but I cannot prove or Disproove.
    I also hear people that own the 3 pro talk about it being "hissy" (All Ampegs Hiss even my b-108...)
    or "Crackling"

Would this be fine for a starting rock rig? :confused:
    or should I skip Ampeg all together because of outsourcing?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope.

Nobody says you have to run it mono bridged. Running it with just one amp side will do exactly that. And as I said before, they all have volume knobs and you can turn them down to whatever level you want.

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Save your money, save your back.

Ampeg Portaflex 800 for the amp, greenboy DuallyT for the cab. The PF-800 is a real tone monster, even more so when you know it weighs 12 pounds or something. The DuallyT is a 60 pound 215 that picks on the 810s. It is smarter, stronger, and smaller than the cabs you are going to find on MF.

The best thing? That rig will cost you less than either of the rigs you cited in your OP.

14. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For your budget of $3K you can basically get anything you want. If you want Ampeg, skip the SVT III and get an SVT Classic. I would hardly call the link you posted a "budget" option. I would say it's very overpriced though, when on the used market you could easily get that rig for around $1K but I know you don't want used gear.

My suggestion?
    Mesa Prodigy - $1800. It's an all tube amp that weighs 29lbs. It sounds phenomenal and will work perfectly in your band.
    Bergantino CN212 - $1200. It's a 46lb. monster of a cab. It kills with the Prodigy.
    Total: $3000

15. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

I just wanna say I own an Early 90s svt 2 with and 8x10e. Now, killer sound and no problems but here is a big prob. To get a good sound( no pedals, just amp ) I have to turn it up to at least 10 o'clock which isn't massively loud. It gets a great growl and so on. Here's the prob....soundman! They always make me turn it down due to my level. They usually di off the head but have also miked. If I drop below 9 o'clock I loose the tone and power. I got tired if this and now I use a gk 1001. Tone is just as good IMO but I can turn it down and keep my tone. That and the di has a level control.

16. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Also many times I end up playing with no pa support in a metal band. I always blow the guitars away without wanting to. I am using a Spector with the ampeg, mike Starr Alice in chains tone

17. DZeet

DZeet

Cool! Jimmy is a Life Saver!! So with the Mono Cable supplied I can just Plug into the Speakon to power Amp A or B side and forfiet running mono-bridge mode. That would work well for small venues. I know the 4 Pro can power 2 or more cabs via Stereo (Run a cab from each, Power Amp a and B with the Mono Bridge turned off (Button out position). Right? I know to run one Speakon cable per cab even though the Cab has 2 Speakon connectors (4x10HLF 2014 Model). Thanks Much!:)

18. DZeet

DZeet

Mesa Looks Good the More I look at my wallet but sadly Berg cabs are non-existent where I live. $1200 for a 2x12 is not cool IMO. I'd rather get 10's due to availability.Thanks!

19. DZeet

DZeet

Solid State + RotoSound Steels + Spector = Massive CLANK Imo. Been there done that. Its the reason I'm switching to Hybrid. I desire that Growl that only Spector+ Tube Pre gets.

20. Forrrest

Forrrest

don't be shy to look at 2nd hand either.
    3K can get you a top of the line rig. mesa or ampeg.
    the prodigy & berg CN212 is a great set if you want something small
    but I'd suggest an ampeg SVT-VR & 810 set.

where are you located?

21. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I'd buy a used Mesa 400+ plus a used 4x10 or 6x10(Bergantino). Put about $1500 back in your pocket