Looking for funky, vocal envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have a Xerograph Deluxe with an expression pedal. I love this pedal for the synthy, growly envelope it has. I really does that sound so well. However, it does not do so well with that funky, vocal type of wah sound IMO. I am looking at getting something with that type of sound. I have a wonderlove on order from prymaxevintage. I would also like to try out the new version of the proton, but those are out of stock. What do you know about the differences between the two? What other filters should I check out?
  2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

The Zoom MS60B (if multis are your thing) has a patch called Ba Cry which does just that. I spent some time with it and got good results. I think combining it with an eq and a comp can get great sounds out of it.
  3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Source Audio Manta. /thread.
  4. BFunk

Too big. I have room for a 1590BB size. I recently tried the SA orbital as a possible replacement for my Polytope and 80's Japanese BF-2. I have to say, the SA was not even close IMO. Those pedals have such a fat, rich, organic tone that the SA was missing. Now, this does not mean I would have the same reaction to the Manta, but it did kind of turn me off to SA.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I haven't tried all of the ones mentioned here, but of the ones I did try the Aguilar Filter Twin was the most vocal. It has a 'talk box' quality to it that nothing else I tried had. I can't remember what all I had but I know I had 2 Protons, a BassIQ, a Q-Tron, the MXR BEF, and a few other.
  7. Phagor

Phagor

Try both the Xero and the Wonderlove on at the same time with blend at 50%. Those vowel sounds are often produced by having two resonant peaks at the same time with the frequencies moving slightly differently.

Otherwise, there's the Xotic Robotalk or the EHX Bassballs.
  8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

The only readily available 1590-sized filter would be one of the Mooers. They have a BassBalls clone but there are other filters in the line.
  9. BFunk

I have the Xero Dlx now. The Wonderlove should be hear in a few days. I am hoping the Wonderlove will give me what I am looking for. If not, I can send it back to Prymaxevintage. (That is why I like dealing with them. That and the 15% discount.) As I said before, I would like to try the Proton too, but they are out of stock on that. So I would like to hear from players who have used both the Proton and the Wonderlove. I want to hear about the pros and cons of each. I apologize if I did not make myself clearer in the opening post.
  10. BFunk

1590BB, not 1590A. The BB is a good size box.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I think you'll be good with the Wonderlove.

But for very vocal tones I'd second the Filter Twin.

Another (more expensive) option would be the TWA Little Dipper which is an update on the Colorsound Dipthonizer.
  12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know what he uses, but some form of vowel/formant filter. EHX Talking Bass and Talking Machine do something similar, and then add lots of distortion.
  14. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

That clip sounds a lot like the SynthTalk mode on the digitech bass synth wah.
  15. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Disclosures:
    Commercial User
    I put my v1 Proton in the effects loop of my Wonderlove, usually with one filter set for an upsweep and the other for a downsweep to get vocal talk-box effects.
  16. BFunk

Very cool idea.