Looking for Influences please? :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Jan 23, 2013.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

I've really been interested in like Art/ psychedelic/prog bands lately. Some of the bands I've been enjoying a lot lately are: Muse, Radiohead, The Doors, Rush, Yes, and Pink Floyd. I've been trying to write those kind of songs lately, but I guess I'm still too focused on being a groovy/funkish bass player like JPJ (which is not a prog/psychedelic thing, IMO) that I'm having trouble writing non blues/funk influenced music. So I guess I'm asking for some more bands to add to my repertoire in hope of influencing my writing. As always, thanks very much for reading, and thoughts are very appreciated :)
  2. Makatak

Makatak

It Bites
  3. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RS66LB

RS66LB

Try giving a few seconds to the 1970 recording of "Jack the stripper", this is actually an intro to another song called "Faries wear boots", it's a slow yet heavy song by Black Sabbath -it's got a bass line that virtually defines the term 'heavy', who knows -you may actually like it
  7. oniman7

oniman7

Great song here:

You're also going to want to take a look at King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Gentle Giant, and bands like that.

IMO, as much as blues is not my favorite genre, it's hard to escape the blues influence in art/prog/psychedelic rock
  8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

There is a Canadian band called Black Mountain... give them a shot. I like their record "In The Future" in particular.
  9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Discipline by King Crimson
  10. mellowgerman

Sorry to keep adding to the list but for something a little more contemporary than the links I posted above, check out Sleepy Sun. They're a really good psychedelic group from California. Their 2010 album "Fever" is pretty fantastic.
  11. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Well since we are talking about them in another thread, The Mars Volta.
  12. oniman7

oniman7

I heard they just broke up.
  13. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

I LOVE blues/funk, and that's the problem. I'm having trouble having that lot reflect in my writing. I'm just trying to surround myself around the genre I'm going to be writing in so I can write good psychedelic/prog/art songs.
  14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

'The Eclectic Measure' by Hypnos 69. I get eargasms every time I listen to it - the songwriting brings me to tears in a good way, and them bass lines...
  15. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Great stuff, thanks. I really like that vibrato the guitarist uses in country joe and the fish. Is that some sort of vibrato pedal, or is he bending that?
  16. Turxile

Turxile

Surrounding yourself in the music is a good idea. You play what you hear in your head, we all do, and that could take a long time to change.
    My advice is that in addition to listening, play all the songs by the bands you want to write/play like. Analyse the song forms, chord progressions, melodies, and the arrangements.
  17. JimK

JimK

There is also something called "Psychedelic Funk"...
  18. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
  19. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Cool stuff guys, I'll make sure to listen to all of it. So far, I've got:
    King Crimson
    Jefferson Airplane
    Jethro Tull
    It Bites
    Country Joe and the Fish
    Porcupine Tree
    Tool
    Gentle Giant
    Black Mountain
    Mars Volta
    Can
    Amon Duul II
    Hypnos 69

Anyone know some modern influences for bands like Muse & Radiohead too? I've dived into Pixies & Sonic Youth, I like Pixies a lot, Sonic Youth is really hard for me to like, though. I've looked up Muse's influences and honestly I can't find their prog/space influence. I know they get their "bombastic" influence from Queen, but I'm looking for their influences like their song Forced In (a less common number off their REAL third album, Hullabaloo Soundtrack) or the slow part of Space Dementia or Citizen Erased. Thanks so much for helping me find some new cool music, too.
  20. mellowgerman

That's Mr. Barry Melton. Easily my favorite lead guitarist. In my mind, he defines the psychedelic guitarist. The vibrato comes from his intense use of both his fretting hand and the Bigsby on his Gibson SG.

fretting hand vibrato can be seen here around the 2min52sec mark:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3-elEqUZs

and here's another all around mind boggling one from them
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwmluotHLw
  21. robotriot

robotriot

for some recent stuff check out tame impala, UMO, pond