1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for info on old bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sq105, Jan 28, 2013.

1. sq105

sq105 Country Squire Supporting Member

Greetings Fellow Bassists!

Here's hoping that someone can tell me about my beloved bass. It has no maker's label, but there is a repair label dated 1947. Its all solid woods as you can tell by be many repaired cracks. The cracks are cleated from inside and fiberglassed from outside. Someone ground off most of the top edges and used fiberglass to hold. There's old burgundy varnish under the tuner gears so this isn't a real blonde.
    I'm guessing that I should post in the luthiers section to figure out how to deal with the fiberglass. Was thinking of leaving alone but checking from the inside with endoscope to ensure there's no seam separations because you cant tell from the outside.
    Any help as to age, origin and approx value would be greatly appreciated. I'm new here but feel right at home. I've played bass for 42 years, and got the arthritis instead of the pension :)
    Here's a link to a bunch of pics on photobucket (new there too!) lets see how it works. Thanks very much!

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/Epi120/library/
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Hi,

It looks Bohemian/Czech. Nice tuning machines. Not the cheapest bass in the catalog as it has a round back, not flat. Sorry it got goobered with Fiberglas, but overall it looks better than a bass I have which was repaired with a hot glue gun. Probably worth a few grand.

Does it buzz or make any weird noises? How does it sound overall?
  3. sq105

Hi Kung thanks very much for your reply. Thankfully no weird noises or buzzes. I'm terrible at describing sound but I'd say overall its focussed and reasonably even despite having 4 different strings. STill working out the bugs and sound keeps improving, maybe 75% there. I've tried 3 different sound posts and 3 bridges too.
  4. sq105

Now someone else is telling me its 100 yr old French made.
    The measurements fall between 3/4 and 7/8 size.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Not French at all, that I can see. Do a Google Images search for "Mirecourt Bass" or "Lamy Bass" (two prominent French builders/shops) and see for yourself.
  6. sq105

Now I see what you mean! :) Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.