1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for Lost Loves

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DLaunder, Jan 19, 2012.

1. DLaunder

DLaunder Supporting Member

Hi guys - Not sure that this is the right place for this post so if the moderator see's fit to chastise me than have at it.

I'm in search of two basses that I foolishly traded straight up some time in 1996 for a Peavey 210TX (yeah, I know, foolish kid :bawl:). One is a red burst Ric 4003 and the other was a Fender Jazz. I bought them both used from a bass player in the NJ area who played in a band called Jack Destiny (Dave, if you out there drop me a PM). I'm not sure of the years of either, but they were traded at Kane's Music in Danbury. CT sometime in 1996 or 1997. I realize this is a long shot, but if they are out there I'd really like a shot at getting them back.

Attached Files:

2. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

I'm gonna bump this thread and add one of my own....awesome idea by the way!

About 5 years ago, I sold a late 90/early 2000's American Standard P to a guy on craigslist. I thought I remember the buyer saying he was on vacation in AZ and it was going back to the NW with it. Not really sure. Possibly Oregon or Washington...?

It was an American Standard with the boat anchor tuners. Black finish with a black guard and rosewood board. The deal was done in either Tucson, or Phoenix possibly and I believe he bought it for about $500. The bass was pretty beat up...I know the headstock had some battle damage as a tuning peg got sheared off (bass swing + Ampeg 810 + pure adrenaline = -1 tuning peg), and I know the finish on the back of the bass was checking pretty badly. Her name is Betty and I miss her terribly.

I played with that thing all over the country and had her in NYC to record an EP with my band. If that bass is still alive and the owner reads this, I'd love to talk to you about possibly getting her back home to AZ.

(pics if I can find them)
  3. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

I like this idea for a thread.

I don't necessairily want to buy it back, but I do wonder what happened to my Alembic ... sold to Steve's Music in Toronto in the early '80s Included an Anvil flight case.

Attached Files:

4. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

Well I had my lost love almost come back. I had a Refinished Music Man sabre in a distinct brown stain that was stolen from me. It poped up on talk bass from somebody kind far away.I had photos with me holding the bass,close ups,paper work from the police report I filed with the matching info showing it was mine filled a couple months before he listed the bass. I said I just want to buy it back for your full asknig price and not deal with any legal matters and he replies back that he can't sell it to me cause he has a possible deal pending to sell to somebody else :scowl: I keep watching and hoping to see it pop up back on here and try to get it back someday.
  5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

That sucks, sorry to hear the seller wasn't compassionate enough to work with you.

Did he even give you a chance to contact the other buyer?
  6. Bob C

Bob C

I love the idea of this thread. I'd like to see a "Find that bassnetwork" website.

Ten years back, or maybe twenty, I sold my Gibson EB-0L - That's LONG SCALE, with slotted headstock! I had it in the classifieds in Duluth, Minnesota, where I still live. A beginner bass player bought it for dirt cheap.

I'd really love to have it back, just for sentimental value.
  7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Translucent red 5 string cort jazz bass with a rising son strap sold at BCR guitar in Lemoyne PA.. I miss that thing even tho the pickup were weak.

this is a fun thread.
  8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Cool thread. I have zero expectation of finding it, but I wouldn't mind locating my old black-and-white Johnson P-bass copy for nostalgia's sake. I lent it to a friend of a friend around 2004-2005 in Gainesville, Florida and haven't seen it since. It's very distinctive, since I put decals all the way up the fretboard reading "University of Florida" -- but it's a righty-to-lefty conversion, so the decals read upside down if you hold the bass righty. It would also bear markings from the lefty conversion (such as an extra strap peg or hole and enlarged nut slots).
  9. Bob C

Bob C

I should add that I apologize for hijacking the thread a bit. I know it wasn't the OP's intention to open the floodgates. I wish him and everyone here luck in finding their lost basses.
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

About a year and a half ago I saw a slotted headstock EB-OL listed on Minneapolis CL, it was gone in a couple days, then about a month later I saw it hanging at American Guitar in Maple Grove, it wasn't there for more then a week. It may be still floating around the Cities. Hard to believe there are that many of them around here.
  11. Bob C

Bob C

hdracer,

Thanks so much for the tip! I've never tried to hunt down that bass. Just have been somewhat curious and regretful. I let it go for the same price I paid for it. Of course I bought it in about 1974.

I did check on Craig's List today - nothing there.

About the bass: I had replaced the original "mudbucker" with a Dimarzio Model One with mini-switch (still have the original pickup). I'm pretty sure everything else was stock.
  12. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

My senior year in high school, 1990-91, I had a black on black '79 Music Man Sabre fretless with a rosewood fingerboard. I'd love to find that bass again (or one just like it), but this was back in Ohio twenty some years ago.... No pictures either.

Great thread idea, though!
  13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That's the one I saw and played then. It is in the Cities.
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I sold my pre-EB StingRay to Dan Lakin a long time ago. He'd been advertising in Bass Player Magazine for buying and selling Music Man basses for a while, so I contacted him. He was sending out a monthly newsletter showing his current stock at the time. The one my 'Ray showed up in was the newsletter where he announced his own new basses with the Lakland name...

A few years later I talked to Dan about trying to recover my StingRay. He said he didn't have a list of where he sold everything when he cleared out his inventory to devote all his energy to Lakland, but he gave me two places he'd sold a lot of them. Neither one responded when I tried to find out if they had her.

I've owned another pre EB 'Ray, but it was a LOT different and not nearly as good. The first one I had was lighter, had a great neck (well, both of them did). But the one I sold Dan that I want back had a great lively sound. The PUP was balanced across all four strings, and the center frequency on the bass control (it had the original epoxy potted pre) was at a very useful spot. The second one I owned had the bass centered a lot lower, and it wasn't nearly as useful in the real world.

I still pop into the Music Man history website poking around of the serial number of that bass, but it's kinda futile because I couldn't afford to buy a pre 'EB bass now if I found Mavis...

John
  15. Bob C

Bob C

Thanks again for that info. If you ever happen to see that bass again, please let me know.

I suppose I could place a "wanted" ad on CL too. The sad thing is, I doubt I could afford to repurchase the bass at this time.

What a bitter-sweet feeling. I only want it for nostalgia, but knowing that it may be nearby makes me want it more.

BTW, you said you played that EB-0L? Here are some other marks and scars I just remembered:

1 There was a crack along the grain on the back, from the edge to the control cavity.

2 I had held the control cavity plate on with duct tape (really sorry to admit that) because the screws were either lost or the screw holes were stripped out.

3 I took off the bridge cover (Who didn't, right?) and still probably have it at home somewhere.

4 The case, which I don't believe was original had the name of a band - Wildwood, or something like that stenciled on it.

5 I bought the bass from B Sharp in the 70's.
  16. feelinlow

feelinlow Supporting Member

I had a '83 Stuart Spector NS2JA Trans Red s/n 0099 that I would love to have back. The last I heard it was in the San Jose, CA area. Still kicking myself in the but for letting that go.
  17. DLaunder

DLaunder Supporting Member

Perhaps the TB powers-that-be could arrange for a "Lost and Found" Sticky?
  18. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1 I love the thought of this thread as well, and best of luck to those searching. A "Lost and Found" Sticky sounds inspirational and perfect!

I'd have to really dig around for a picture, but I was chatting with my bass mentor a couple weeks ago (the guy who started me playing bass almost 15 years ago!), and I asked him if he still had his Warwick Dolphin, the first bass I ever touched in my life, and if I could purchase it from him. It was a beautiful translucent black 4-string with a rosewood board and chrome hardware...

Tragically, it was stolen from him.

I know she's out there somewhere, but the chances of finding her now are pretty much impossible. :(

5sg.
  19. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I had a white Aria Pro II, 4 string with point headstock, in 1991 (to about 1998) and I always wondered where that bass went.

It was dropped (not too hard) so there was some minor chipping on the bottom. And real distinguishing mark - the active / passive toggle switch had broken and I put in one from Radio Shack with a flat switch (original was round)...
  20. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

Nope.I even offered him more than the his asking price and he just ignored me.Your not happen a fan of kickboxing/mma are you?I see the Golden Glory in your name I instantlly think of a famous gym out in Holland.