Looking for lower tension than Spiro Mittels

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Charling, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Charling

Charling

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get another set of strings on my bass, it's a new ish bass and has been doing a lot of changing over the last year or so, it's a little shorter than 3/4 scale.

I've had the classic spiros on it since birth and I enjoyed it at first but as it's grown they have gotten tighter the sound is choked and woody, especially around the A to C on the A string.

I'm looking for some strings that are less tense, I tried a larger bass with superflexibles and loved it but of course can't be sure if that will translate to my bass. They SEEMED lower tension though my research so far has said that technically this is not the case.

I was almost set on trying a set but then thought of the weichs. I play jazz mainly, but do a fair bit of orchestral so the bowing response of the superflexibles is attractive, but if they are really as high tension as the mittles then I'd rather give weichs a go and deal with the not-as-good bow response, and see if they give my bass a break .

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

PS this bass has been to the luthier a LOT, and he's pulled the soundpost all over the place, so I don't think its that :) Also, I have really small hands, most people who try my bass think its great but I could do with a bit less tension to get back a bit of bounce!
  2. kscbass

kscbass Supporting Member

I use the next step down from Mittels, Weichs 3/4's. Lower tension than that is Weichs 4/4 and then Spirocore solos tuned EADG.