Looking for Maple Bass Neck to fit Jaguar Special V

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kevin Gearhead, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kevin Gearhead

Kevin Gearhead Supporting Member

Hello Talkbass, this is my first time posting a thread so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Anyways, I recently pulled the trigger on a Squire VM Jaguar Special V. I find that it's a very good bass aside from the fact that the neck is made from very cheap tone woods (it dents very easily and was back bowing after one week), and after some shipping issues with UPS the neck has water damage (I got the insurance resolved though). I'm currently looking to replace the neck. :help:

Since maple finger boards are my favorite for Fender instruments, I am wondering if anyone knows where I may find a replacement Fender style neck with a maple finger board for under $500 (the bass only cost me $250). Is there a place that sells replacements necks that won't exceed the cost I paid for the Jaguar bass? Is it possible I could fit a third party bass neck (like SX) without any extra work?

I appreciate any input people can give me.

Thank you!

2. Bobster

Bobster

You should be able to find several Fender, or Mighty Mite 5-string necks on eBay.

Best of luck, and post pics...

Bob

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

You can buy a new Fender Modern Player Jazz V neck on Ebay that should fit. I had a Squier VM Jaguar V for a week before returning it for the very same reasons you've mentioned in your post.

TD

4. Kevin Gearhead

Yeah, it's an embarrassment to the VM line. Any suggestions on what search terms or stores I should look up on Ebay? Only thing I've found so far is a Fernandes bass neck with a maple board and I have no idea if that would fit or not. Also, thank you for the quick replies. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Simply search for Fender Modern Player Jazz V bass.

I just checked and all of the necks have been sold. Check out a seller called "the stratosphere". They have a number of Fender bodies, necks, electronics available including some for MPJV. They just sold 2 MPJV necks.

Good luck.

TD

7. Kevin Gearhead

Okay, change in plans. I've decided it will be easier to save up for the new Squire VM Jazz V considering the amount of time, money, and labor needed to put into adding a new bass neck. I'm planning on selling the Jaguar body either in the classifieds here on TB or on Ebay.

Only thing is the preamp has this major problem with the bass booster: whenever I turn up the knob it automatically distorts or "farts" all of the notes I play and messes with the gain on the amp. Would it be better to strip the preamp or to leave it in and leave a note the issue?

Man, Squire really needs to fix their QC. :eyebrow:

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You said that the bass was water damaged by UPS, so the preamp could have gotten wet as well. I don't see how this is a Squier QC issue. A preamp farting with the lows boosted can be as simple as a low battery.

9. Kevin Gearhead

Long story short: I bought the bass from Sweetwater, the bass had the issue with the preamp out of the box even after I put in a fresh battery, and I returned it for a refund. UPS damaged the neck it on the return trip giving it water damage and bending a tuning key. I'm waiting for Sweetwater to return the body to me now. My apologies for not being clear enough on the details before.

10. Hopkins

So it originally had a funky preamp, and the neck was damaged on return shipping. This still doesn't seem like terrible QC on Squiers end. Just part failure, it happens.

11. Kevin Gearhead

I see what you mean. The issues I had are probably due to bad luck and the fact the bass was in the sub $300 range (that or it was just a lemon). Either way, I'll check the body for water damage when I get it back. But I'm still wondering, would it better to leave the preamp in or gut it for the sale? I'm planning on selling the body (provided it's not water damaged too) for about $100.

12. Bobster

Bobster

Why don't you just have Sweetwater process the VM Jag as a return and apply your payment to the Jazz V.

That should help w/the cost.

Bob

13. Kevin Gearhead

That might work. I'll call my sales associate and see what he has to say. I got UPS to refund me through insurance for the damage for $250, but I'm using that refund for non-bass related reasons. :bag:

I'll keep people posted on what happens. Thanks again for the help. :)

14. Hopkins

If Sweetwater doesn't do the refund and you sell the body I would leave the preamp in and just include in the description that something is wrong with it

15. Kevin Gearhead

Okay folks, I got the bass body back today. Sweetwater couldn't give me the refund because UPS already gave me a refund for when they damaged the bass on it's return trip to Sweetwater.

Seems that the body got bashed around while being shipped and now the the wood holding rear strap button is partially caved in and it has the finish partially chipped around the strap button. So I don't think I'd get $100 for it. :(

Instead, I've decided to go through with rebuilding the bass after I get my tax returns by adding a Mighty mite neck with a rosewood finger board since the price is right and it sounds warmer than maple. I will also add vinyl block "onlays" to the bass and I'll post pics when I'm done with the whole thing next month. :bassist:

16. Kevin Gearhead

Okay, I've changed my mind again. :D I'm selling the body on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121237388082#viTabs_0) for $90 and I'm going to save up for a Squire VM Jazz V after the holidays because there's less hassle involved. Sorry for any confusion and I wish you a continued happy non-boring part of the winter season (AKA holidays).