Looking for MIDI files to download

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Spanky123, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Spanky123

Spanky123

As you may know, MIDI files do not have copyright restrictions, since they are electronic performances. I know there are a number of sites where I can download thousands of jazz standards. When I search for them online, I keep getting directed to sites that just want to pull my chain; buy their software, click on what looks like it is the download but are actually advertisemtents. Can someone tell me an easy way to download a library of jazz midis without wasting a lot of time? Much appreciated. Looking for bass and piano in particular without accompaniment. Thanks.
  2. tcl

tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Why don't you just spring for Band in a Box? If you're a certified music teacher - which costs all of $100 per year - there's a steep discount. Failing that, try www.professorimprov.com He has a bunch of standards rendered as MIDI sound files there and it's all free. BIAB is still better because you can easily alter the tempo and key. Good luck.
  3. Spanky123

Spanky123

I have BIAB. It's labor intensive to go into each song, configure the part I want for solo piano or bass, audition it to make sure its correct, then export it as a general midi file and then import it into my Ipad app. I can do it if I have to, but I would rather save the time and I know they are out there. Thanks for the link. I will look at it.

Edit: I just had a listen to the play-alongs on that site you linked to. They are excellent; simple and cleanly recorded. I am downloading a bunch. They are MP3, though, not MIDI.

What I am doing is looking for midi files to put into an Ipad app that converts midi to sheet music. That's why I want plain piano and bass MIDI. I am looking for a fast way to get a repretoire of practice sheets to improve my sight reading. BIAB will work, I have thousands of songs in that program, but it will take several hours, whereas if I stumble on the right website I can do it in ten minutes.