1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for more volume

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by muthertucker17, Feb 12, 2014.

1. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

ok, so i'm a big fat drummer recently converted to bassist, so i don't know anything about the specifics of my instrument, just how to slap it a lot. my current amp situation is failing me unfortunately, considering the amount of money i put into it. i now have a hartke hydrive 4x10 cab with the LH1000 head, and considering the fact that i am putting out 1000 watts i thought i would have sufficient volume, yet during the loud funk breaks in some of my bands songs, no one can hear my slap bass lines. i have the thing cranked almost all the way up with my guitar volume all the way up. its starting to get distorted. cutting to the chase, i don't know whether i need a new head, possibly with more than 3 eq nobs, an additional cabinet like a 1x15 or second 4x10, or what. i definitely want some head room so i can deliver a nice, crisp sound that will keep up with drums and guitar. does anyone have a solution?

btw sorry for the length of that, if people don't want to read all of that i will post a condensed version of it.
  2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

That rig should be more than enough. I'd say it's an EQ issue, either on your bass (what bass are you using?) or in the way you're setting your amp's EQ. Where do you set the bass, mid, and treble knobs?
  3. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

my bass is a fender PJ bass (precision body, jazz neck). love the guitar. i usually put all three nobs at about half, switching it around depending on the genre i'm playing. usually a little extra bass on the dub/reggae stuff and some more mids/treble on the slapping
  4. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I mostly agree with punkjazzben, but number of band members, overall band volume and acoustics can play a big part, and impact your volume...

The simplest solution with fewest problems to increase volume, is to add another identical cab.

Edit: and welcome ! I just started playing drums in a band last year ;)
  5. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

My 65 watt amp only started becoming to quiet at practice when the guitarist got a 55w valve head out. Definitely sounds like an eq issue rather than volume.
  6. M0ses

M0ses

Tell your band to turn the **** down. 1kW into a 4x10 is enough for God Himself. Any venue that requires or can even handle anything like the max volume on that thing has a full PA, so stop ruining your own mix and bring your stage sound DOWN.
  7. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

well the problem isn't at practice, and obviously not at real venues when i can go direct in, the problem is when i'm playing medium sized venues where i'm only playing out of my amp. we have a diesel JBL sound system and we do get pretty loud, but not stupidly/uncomfortably loud. the mix will sound great when we play dynamically but with funk sometimes you gotta throw down the heat and mainly with slapping i'm not getting the volume i need. i'm sketched out turning the amp up any louder cause manufacturers love making your max volume too much for your speakers to handle so i keep it up to about 75%. idk, i was recommended by a pretty intelligent guitarist friend of mine to get some sort of separate eq box so i can go through and cut out the hrtz that are boxy or causing distortion. no combination of knob turning on my guitar or amp will get me loud and clear so i guess i just need to know what is the next option to try to improve the situation
  8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

If the problem is specifically your slapping getting lost in the mix (and not the rest of your playing) you should look into a compressor.

MarkBass Compressore is my preference, though I use it for other purposes. It is (arguably) the most sophisticated compression pedal you can get for the money.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

To clarify on that matter:
    What are the other members in the Band using?
    If you're put up against two guitards with 4x12 halfstacks and 150W heads that like to crank it, you will need another cab and the best sollution for that scenario is adding the same cab.
    If not, i'm guessing that you're after a lowend heavy sound with some crispy highs to articulate. That's always hard to get real loud for it requires a lot of moved air.
    Try and add more mids and see how that works out. If the possibility exists, try other head/cab combinations (if there are other bands practicing near your practice space) and see if that turns out better.
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

You don't say how you are running the head ... but, in any case, you aren't getting 1000 watts with a single (8 ohm)Hydrive 410 ... although the difference between the 750 and 1K if you are running bridged would not be that significant, but adding speakers would ... I am not familiar with the head, but just make sure you do have it bridged (if that is what you are after) and the bottom line, is more speaker surface = more volume ... if you like your sound, add an identical cab ... with the specs below, it looks like you could actually push several of those 410's with that head ...

•Dual Parallel Mode: 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms
    •Bridge Mode: 1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms, 1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohms

Edit to add: .. I just glanced at the manual, and it says in there at one point that you are only getting 500 watts out of the LH1000 at 8 ohms, despite the 750 watt rating in my earlier link .. not sure which is accurate

... I linked the manual below, just in case you didn't have it ...

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/support/manuals/LHseries_OM_EN_v2.pdf
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Where is your mid knob set? On that amp it is a "cut only" knob. Turn it all the way up.
  12. Sartori

Sartori

^^^^^

The Hartke stuff uses the "Fender tone stack" also known as the FMV, if I recall correctly. On these, the bass and treble knobs are mostly boost, and the mid knob is cut only. Closest to flat would be the mids all the way up, and the bass and treble at like 2 or 3.

Also, if you need more volume, add an identical 4x10.
  13. fabubass

fabubass

WOW!! I don't know how some of these people can have 1000 watts and can't hear themselves. Obviously, must not be P.A. support.
    I have a GK 1000RBll and have it hardly turned on
  14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Are you running Bridged?
    Are you using the Speakon connector?
    (If not - you are _not_ running bridged and you are _not_ getting 1000W...)
    Post your actual tone knob settings - including the Limiter and Brite.

Step One - make sure you're bridged and with the correct cable.
    Step Two - turn the Bass knob down - a lot. You're probably using a lot of power to send frequencies the cab can't reproduce anyway.
  15. mrmills

mrmills

Add another cab as the harder you push one cabinet, the worse it will sound.

More speakers = more air moved.
    More power = same amount of air moved with more force.
  16. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

To summarize:

On the amp:

turn the bass WAY down
    turn the mids all the way up
    turn the treble to about noon

On the bass:

turn the bass down a little from its midpoint
    turn the mids up a little from their midpoint
    turn the treble up a little from its midpoint

If that doesn't fix you up, consider a compressor, and also an FDeck or other high pass filter to ensure your amp isn't wasting power trying to reproduce really low frequencies that your cab can't put out anyway.

If that still doesn't fix you up (which would be almost unimaginable given you have a 4x10 and 1000W), add another 4x10 cabinet.
  17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. OP does not have 1000 watts working here ...

As I mentioned earlier, the specs on the LH1000 are a bit confusing ... some places list it at 750 watts bridged into 8 ohms, and then I found this from the manual ...

"Power to spare — The Model LH1000, a full 1000 watts delivered to a 4 ohm speaker system or 500 watts to an 8
    ohm speaker system
    ."
  18. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

ok so more detail on my setup

i actually do have a compressor, though i'm not sure how good it is, its just the run of the mill MXR compressor which does help a little, but still not doing it all the way. i did have the bass a little past noon on the amp so i will try turning that down, never tried having the mids all the way up so these are things i'll be trying at the next show. I am also running it in bridged mode with a speakon cable. if this doesn't work its sounding like the extra cab is going to be the best idea. i too was baffled when my amp wasn't producing as much volume as i wanted with 1000w and i wasn't sure if it was due to the hybrid's "hybrid" nature and was thinking of trying full tube. thats some serious money though, like double what my head costs so the extra cab would probably be the best bet if i can't figure the eq out.

now if people want to know my settings for my compressor, i have the attack and decay each set at about a 2 (or around 9 o'clock), the ratio is set at 12 and the input/output levels are pretty low only because any louder makes my amp distorted and considering i don't have another cab i'm not tryin to screw this one up. if any solutions could come through there as well let me know
  19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Yes - lower the bass - you've got it boosted a lot - takes a lot of power and your cab can't turn it into sound anyway. Since the mid knob is 'cut only' turning it down is really throttling the output too.

12:1 compression is _huge_. 2 or 3 might be a good place to start - considering lots of people don't use any at all...
  20. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

12:1 is not huge if you are using the comp as a limiter. the more important question is: is the average volume the same when the comp is off as when it is on? how much gain reduction are you seeing? (how many lights light up?)