1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for music to "Play along" bass guitar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Hieumaximus, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Hieumaximus

Hieumaximus

I'm looking for songs( vocal,guitar,drum...no bass) and instrumental songs in other to practise. Could you please tell me where I can find or buy it. Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. Srirachaglo

Srirachaglo Gold Supporting Member

How about a high-pass filter? LOL

3. mozilla314

mozilla314

playalongjazz.com

4. oniman7

oniman7

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jazz: Jamie Abersold recordings are availabel; Music minus whatever

I put on Youtube videos and turn down my subwoofer.

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I really do not have a problem playing with a video, CD, etc. that has the bass track.

In fact that is how I practice all the time. I take my fake chord and then play that with a video I've called up. Having the bass track on the video has not proved to be a large problem. I just google these key words; Video, "name of the song" and take my pick. I think I'm so focused on the song and what I'm doing I tune out the bass on the video. For some reason it's not a problem for me.

Give it a try -- like has been said if you are listening from a CD player, turn down the bass volume. Or with the videos you call up on your computer use one of the software programs that let you mute the bass frequencies, if you do have a problem with the bass track coming through. If you can do that there are thousands of play-a-longs just waiting for you on the Internet.

Matching the key; yes that enters into the process, but, that is not hard to do, just listen for the tonal center and adjust your fake chord to the key that is being used. If you use Nashville numbers, like I do, just adjust the box position and away you go.

Fake chord http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/marie_barnett/breathe_ver2_crd.htm Notice this fake chord is not in the key I need for the following video.........
    Video I hear A.

Matching the key - I use a keyboard for this. Let the song play and then run up the white keys from the C. It came in sync on the A. And the fake chord I have from the church is in A. They specifically pointed me to Marie Barnett's version of this song to practice with - so another reason to think A is the correct key.

Which means the Internet fake chord, listed above needs to be adjusted to A, if that is what you will be using. Notice the transpose button at the fake chord site.

8. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

9. fearceol

fearceol

10. Buster Groove

Buster Groove

Love Wikiloops! Just what I've been craving. Seriously, I have downloaded every drum machine prog and rhythm track I could find but they are a pain to use. I play along with YouTube videos, but they can be a hassle to find and the commercials are annoying.

I like being able to search a specific genre for tracks with drums and guitar only -- just hope more people post more tracks. Been playing along with the "radio" station "Backing Tracks for Bass" for hours tonight!

11. sammyp

sammyp

Hal Leonard has several play along books with tracks that have both bass in and bass out.... No vocals.

Just off the top of my head there is a green day, modern rock compilation, pop compilation, RnB, funk, 80s rock, 90s rock.....

12. BluesMan845

BluesMan845

I was going to suggest you download a trial version of Transcribe! by seventhstring software. It's a very powerful transcription application that has an extremely useful eq'ing section that essentially lets you target ranges to remove. Thus, you can take any song you have recorded and make a play-a-long track from it. Plus you can loop sections, slow-down, change key, etc...

It's not exactly the same as having a real play-a-long track because you will lose some additional audio that shares the bass's range but it placed absolutely no limits on what tracks you can obtain to play along with.. I can't remember exactly what the full purchase price is ( maybe $50 ) but with all the other features you may find yourself using, it's an invaluable tool for any musician that learns tunes by ear!!

13. alfoders

alfoders

Dude...Thanks for the lead on wikiloops.com. It's just what I've been looking for. I've turned a co-worker on to the site as well. He's a guitarist into composition and will contribute some mixes to the site.