1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for "my" compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squawk, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

Here is what I'm looking for:

Tonal improvement like Markbass or Diamond BCP

Good ratio - The Diamond BCP would be what I want if the ratio wasnt fixed so low. I don't want a dedicated Peak limiter but I want something with a decent capability.

Power requirements - the Markbass would be on my board if not for the 600ma requirement. I'm looking for something that runs well off of 12v 300ma on the ISO-5 power supply.

So what can you recommend that fits those three? Tonal Improvement, good compression ratio (higher than the 3:1 on the Diamond, whether it be fixed or variable) and runs well on 12v 300ma?

I'd like if it wasn't noisy. But it is not a necessary requirement.

2. Squawk

Squawk

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    MXR Bass Compressor.

4. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

The 12v thing is the kicker. You may want to look at the Taurus Tux, which I believe runs at 12v (though it may be opposite polarity than normal).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    for me, the best comp is the Cali76.
    the Diamond is also awesome since I find no reason to squish my dynamics very much.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good call on the Taurus.

8. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Why not use a current doubler cable? The Markbass is THE compressor, really and I'd move mountains to have it on my board!

9. lava4485

lava4485

Look at the MXR Bass comp... It's awesome.

I've never played the Diamond Bass comp. But, Not a single man has said that it's any less than good. That thing is too popular to go wrong! :)

10. Squawk

Squawk

Does anyone feel the MXR Bass Comp improved their tone or changed their tone?

I see that it is highly recommended.

11. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I had the MXR M87 and it's very transparent not a tone enhancer at all. Try the Empress Compressor. It's a little pricey but it sounds great to me. It's also more versatile than the Diamond with more adjustable features. You can run it at 18v but it works great at 9v and only needs 100mA's which is why I ended up getting it. I'm glad I did! It has really evened out my tones and just makes everything better. YMMV

12. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

I've owned the MXR, the Markbass, and now the Diamond. All three are great, but I've stuck with the Diamond, here's why;

1) the MXR is very nice, good price, well-built, and small-sized. The LED metering is awesome. It is however, not going to 'improve' your tone, other than by what any compressor is meant to do. It's clear and transparent.

2) the Markbass is well-built, and sounds great, but the size and power requirements are big minus to me. Tone-wise, it is great, it takes awhile to dial in I found.

3) the Diamond is kind of a nice fit between the MXR and MB. It's not as big as the MB, but has a very-musical tone to it, plus it's simple to operate. I've found it sounds better at 18v as opposed to 9v, and that in itself posses it's own challenges, but the tone it worth it. I've found the combination of my P with flats, the Diamond, and my Fender 100t tube amp to be a perfect combination, I couldn't imagine a better tone.

You can't go wrong with any of the three (or lots of other bass comps), and I'd happily own a MXR or MB again, but for the above states reasons, I'm sticking with the Diamond.