Looking for my second bass - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Right now I have a six string Pedulla Thunderbolt (which is an active bass with Bartolini pickups and a low mid boost switch), and I'm getting a pretty sizeable christmas bonus for last year. I promised my girlfriend that most of it would go into savings, but I want to get a second bass.

My favorite genres of music are jazz, hard rock, funk, and hip hop. The Pedulla has a great sound, kind of like a vintage J with the mid boost off, but much more aggressive and modern with it on; it can do hard rock and funk well and it fits well in more modern electric jazz settings, but it doesn't do everything I'd like. For one, the string spacing is too tight to slap comfortably. Secondly, it's missing the woody thump that I'd like to have for old school jazz. Lastly, I'd like something with a deep, smooth tone that can fit in with hip hop styles.

I was thinking about getting a 5 string P bass (probably the Squier VM P5) and putting flats on it. Are there any others I should look into?

2. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    A P bass with flats will give you the thump you're looking for, and it can get deep for hip hop with the tone rolled off, and the string spacing will be wide if you like that for slap. BUT.. slapping with flats doesn't generally sound so great IMO. You might need 2 basses to fulfill those requirements.

3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    Maybe a 5 string with 3/4" bridge string spacing (just like a 4) to cover the rock and slap stuff?

good luck!

4. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I dunno, I've heard some decent slap on instruments with flats. Its definitely a different sound, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I probably could learn to slap comfortably on the sixer; his website says that they have 17.5mm spacing on the sixes, but it feels closer than that to me. In any case, I'm a white dude who plays with jazz guys. Let's be honest, I don't slap that often. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

The Squier VM P5 is a solid choice. If you want some variety with it consider dropping in a John East P-Retro. It's a straight drop in that will let you play passive or active without loosing that root P sound.

Rezdog

7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

Fender flats are fairly bright as far as flats go, might get you a good slap tone.

disclaimer, I Don't Know D*** about slapping.

8. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Rez, does that come in a five string model? I was thinking that it would be nice to have a bass with an active/passive toggle, but I'd have to either do a rewiring or go with a J bass or a SUB Ray to get one in my price range.

I've never owned a ray but I've heard that they're usually pretty aggressive sounding. Can a Ray pull off vintage jazz tones if I try to tame it with flats?