looking for new bass

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by dwells18, Dec 26, 2013.

1. dwells18

dwells18

I'm in the market for a new bass, I've had a fender deluxe p for about eight years and I'm in need of a new bass for the sound I'm developing. I play and produce Neo-soul and Electronic R&B, I'm looking for something that will give me a deeper sound, not so twangy like the precision, and sits in the mix better when recording. most likely a five string. any suggestions? looking to spend no more than 1500.
  2. Marihino

Marihino

Not to be a smartass, but if precision sounds twangy and doesn't sit well in the mix, particularly in soul and r&b (which you play and produce, apparently), then we must have played very different precision basses.
  3. kenbassplayer

kenbassplayer

Try some different strings. I have a P Bass and found Rotosound swings to have a very full sound. Its way cheaper than $1500.
  4. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi there hope you are well. I'm sorry I don't really know a lot about different basses...Have you tried Sadowsky stuff. I own 2 of there basses and they sound great...
    You should also try different pickups as that really changes the sound too. Try the Aguilars I think you will like them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dwells18

dwells18

when you say not be a smartass... that makes you a smart ass, not much help
  7. dwells18

dwells18

thanks brutha! i'm checkin' out some sandowskys
  8. Marihino

Marihino

I just always thought of precisions as sitting in a mix very well, and never "twangy". Might be a setup issue or seriously bad pickup on the one you've worked on. And my advice would be to look into those things rather than into a different type of bass. Unless a different type of bass is what you want. I'm not a precision bass kind of guy myself, but a question "what bass is less twangy than a P and sits in a soul/r&b mix better", I'd answer "almost nothing".