1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for new bass

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by dwells18, Dec 26, 2013.

1. dwells18

dwells18

I'm in the market for a new bass, I've had a fender deluxe p for about eight years and I'm in need of a new bass for the sound I'm developing. I play and produce Neo-soul and Electronic R&B, I'm looking for something that will give me a deeper sound, not so twangy like the precision, and sits in the mix better when recording. most likely a five string. any suggestions? looking to spend no more than 1500.
  2. Marihino

Marihino

Not to be a smartass, but if precision sounds twangy and doesn't sit well in the mix, particularly in soul and r&b (which you play and produce, apparently), then we must have played very different precision basses.
  3. kenbassplayer

kenbassplayer

Try some different strings. I have a P Bass and found Rotosound swings to have a very full sound. Its way cheaper than $1500.
  4. tony grey

tony grey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi there hope you are well. I'm sorry I don't really know a lot about different basses...Have you tried Sadowsky stuff. I own 2 of there basses and they sound great...
    You should also try different pickups as that really changes the sound too. Try the Aguilars I think you will like them.
  5. dwells18

dwells18

when you say not be a smartass... that makes you a smart ass, not much help
  6. dwells18

dwells18

thanks brutha! i'm checkin' out some sandowskys
  7. Marihino

Marihino

I just always thought of precisions as sitting in a mix very well, and never "twangy". Might be a setup issue or seriously bad pickup on the one you've worked on. And my advice would be to look into those things rather than into a different type of bass. Unless a different type of bass is what you want. I'm not a precision bass kind of guy myself, but a question "what bass is less twangy than a P and sits in a soul/r&b mix better", I'd answer "almost nothing".