1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for opinions on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbb341, Jan 7, 2014.

1. cbb341

cbb341

Hello Im looking for opinions on some basses. I going to buy a new (used ) bass and the two I am looking at are a US made Peavey Cirrus and a Ibanez sr4500, any info on which is the better bass would be great.
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

Hard to say since it's apples vs oranges :p

Tell us, what sound are you looking for? What music do you play?

Also, if you have the possibility, pick them both up and try them out and see which fits you best :)
  3. cbb341

cbb341

I play rock music also do a lot of slap bass,I have a US Millennium and I love it, Im looking for a good clear tone with a lot of punch
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

If you can get the US Millenium with MM Humbucker / J-style pickup combination, you might get that one. Good for slapping :)
  5. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

I have a Cirrus and while I love it. It does not have what I would regard as a clear tone. Definitely a colored tone.... It (or the VFL pickups) has a unique character of it's own. I'd be looking at something else if it's clarity you want. Also might want to consider a Lakland Skyline 44-01 or 44-02. way less price wise than the Ibanez and for piano like clarity hard to beat. Great slap tones. I put an OBP-3 in my 44-01 in is probably the clearest bass I have. But it's your ears. You need to listen to a few.