1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for P bass shootout

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Needenaneden, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Has anyone ever done or seen a good P bass shootout? I'd love to see an American Standard Fender, AVRI Fender, Fender Road Worn P bass, Tony Franklin, G&L LB-100, Yamaha Attitude 3 and a few others played in one video with all their tone capabilities.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

With the audio quality on youtube, it's really hard to hear the difference between very similar instruments. I watched one not long ago that was 5 or 6 Teles ranging from $199 to $2000+. And they all pretty much sounded the same.
  3. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

+1

You really need to wear a pair of quality headphones to listen to these types of videos, rather than rely on computer monitors.
    I've found that's the best way to analyse bass sounds online.

Obviously, nothing beats trying them yourself in a music shop, but some of us (like me) don't have a big music store nearby.
  4. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

i would think the major difference would be pickups (interchangeable) and playability. The tones are probably too close to hear a real difference.
  5. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I figured they would be close in tone but there might be some variations.
    Yes, a good pair of headphones makes a difference. I picked up some headphones this week and I'm hearing bass lines in songs like I never have before. It's actually pretty exciting! :)
  6. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

As a rule, I listen to all the audio online through Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. I can usually hear the basses pretty well.

-Raf
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

+1 I am a PBass diehard and for me the main attraction is that most sound great and alike and are easily tweaked with pickup swap. Me, one Dimarzo d122 model P, another with an Aggie p4 60 and that's all you really need.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

I agree. The big differences are going to be feel, neck stability, tuning stability, how it balances on a strap, fret dressing, finish quality, things like that. All the things that are difficult if not impossible to demonstrate in a video.

The reviewer could tell you that the neck on one feels bendy like a handfull of cooked spaghetti and another feels like you could jump up and down on it without knocking it out of tune, but they are going to look the same on camera.
  9. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

been using my sb-2 for my p needs, there are a bunch of audio clips of this bass versus a fender p, use the google search not the tb search
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I would love to throw my 18v Big Block P in that mix :)
  11. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

jesus. thats a ton o tone.
  12. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

If I recall Ed Friedland had a cool Squier Classic Vibe vs Fender shoot out
  13. Radio Face

Radio Face

All P basses sound pretty much the same to me.
  14. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

In fact, all basses sound the same so don't even bother
    :D
  15. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Wow my kinda thread. I love the P. Really love my ARI 57. I have noticed less than inspiring choices these days it seems like back in the day they were more constant you picked one up and played and bang over the fence great bass now there are to s to choose from and a bit more hit or miss

I thought I absolutely needed an rw neck but then I played the 57 with maple at Matt Uminov's in NYC and was sold more or less. Bass has THE feel and sounds anyway possible.

There are tons of other brands and configs out there but to me, perfection. Coolest sounding and looking bass of all time.