Looking for players' experience & recommendations...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by roachmanfwa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. roachmanfwa

roachmanfwa Supporting Member

I am currently using a preamp/power amp combo (750 watts@ 8 ohms) and am thinking about changing my setup to one of the newer, lighter weight amps - I'm 54 & am looking to reduce the weight of my setup. I have an Ibanez BTB 6-string and my cab is an Acme Low-B2 and am concerned about the low-frequency reproduction of the Class D amplifiers. I'd like to hear from players that currently use these amps - have you noticed a difference (positive or negative) in your sound compared to what you previously had?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I changed from a Mackie FR1400 to a Carvin DCM1000L Class D power amp. I have notice no difference whatsoever in sound or feel since the change. I'm 68 and weight IS becoming more important. My Avatar shows this amplifier driving my acme B2 Series one pair, 4Ω each.

In passing I would say that I'd never gig with a single B2. A pair, however, are a delight! :D

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have one 4 ohm B2 series II. I was thinking of adding another and actually gigging with these. Anyone know if the series III will sound identical to the II? I'm thinking most of the differences will be cosmetic.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Best advice, get rid of the BTB. Their motto is big body, big tone, so that means big weight. My old 676 was probably in the 12 pound range. That thing was rough for an hour set, full nights were nothing short of awful.

Class D heads have no problems with lows, I have never experienced any kind of shortage if anything I turn my lows down at times.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Agreed!
    Another bass option would be to try a 6 string warwick corvette double buck.
    My GK MB200 has plenty of lows. I actually have to set the bass knob around 10-12 o'clock.

7. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    I switched over last year to a Tec Amp Puma 900 and its M212 counter part...the head is a joke to carry around (3lbs)...now the cab only weighs 50lbs...but can be cumbersome at times...if I was to do it again...I would get 2 x 112's...The sound quality is incredible...I was a previous Ampeg guy!!...