1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for Small amp for pub gigs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Daniel Doherty, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Daniel Doherty

Daniel Doherty

I'm starting a cover band and i'm wondering can anyone suggest an amp that is easy to carry around and yet has the push to keep up with the rest of the band. Anyone have any preferences or ideas?

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I play 50's, 60's, 70's covers and have never needed more than my little Markbass CMD121P combo for gigs up to 300 people. Incredibly loud and small. I only use the add-on cab for outdoors. You MUST try it - they are crazy loud and 32 lbs. If you place the amp in a corner, you can rattle the windows of the club. Other musicians come up to the stage looking for my "stack" and are blown away by the little box in the corner.

They are not cheap, but used ones are starting to turn up.

3. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I use either a MB Big Bang or GB Streamliner 900 amp with a pair of MB 604's cabs. I will only use one of these cabs in a small club. At 18" square they are real easy to transport and the sound imo is outstanding.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Budget?
    FOH?
    Band setup? (Guitars, Keys, drums etc)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    These questions must be answered in order to give any meaningful suggestions.

That said, I run our coverband (typical classic rock with some motown or country mixed in depending...) with a 212 neo and 400 or 800RB. Carries the room up to 80-100 people, everybody's in the PA at anything bigger. Lighter, more manageable, better dispersion than a 410.

7. Daniel Doherty

Daniel Doherty

Sorry, really should have added them. My Budget is between 100 and 400eur, the F.O.H is 250 watt treble heads on stands and band set up is drums, 2 guitars, two vocal and bass.

8. smogg

smogg

Well according to your profile you have a 500w Hartke head and a 115 cab. What is it not doing for you that you need something different?

9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Checkout the Carvins....good price and good sound too.

10. Daniel Doherty

Daniel Doherty

The 115 is blown because some eejit i lent it to did something extremely stupid with it(lesson learned about lending equipment to people). Decided to see what people recommended here :)

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'd keep the Hartke head and replace the blown 1x15 with a good 2x12.

12. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1, get a new cab with multiple drivers. If you are looking for a small combo , the new GK MB combos are sweet, I have the MB112-II with the MBP e cab and it fills a 200 ppl room with the gain half way. The 15 incher by itself should it fine.