1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for some advice - downsizing from a Mesa 4x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jarop, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jarop

jarop

Hi all,
    I've been in the market for a smaller amp + head / combo to downsize my current rig because it's too big for the bulk of the gigs that I do. The set-up was intended for festivals and I picked it up off a rock bassist, but the bulk of the gigs I do are jazz / funk in small-ish venues. I've really liked the sound my rig has produced but as my workload increases it just becomes more and more difficult to lug around

Currently my set-up is as follows
    Mesa Boogie M2000 head
    Mesa Boogie 4x10 Cabinet at 400w
    Double Bass with Realist pick-up - Primary instrument running through the rig, mainly your standard jazz pizz stuff but on occasion I do play arco and it sounds quite nice through the current amp so this is a considering for my next rig
    Yamaha RBX375 - I run this through the rig for funk / musical gigs. Never anything too flash just Motowny stuff

As far as tone, my main concern is with the DB sound and to my ear the 'natural' sound comes from guys like Chambers and McBride who pack a lot of punch without too much of a twang. Ideally the electric bass would sound anything Motown but I'm honestly not too fussed, just as long as whatever tone it makes sounds good.

Now I'm aware that ultimately it's going to come down to taste and I'll have to go try some rigs out for myself, but as somebody's who has never really had to pick out a rig for myself (my previous rig was a gift and while the tone has been great it has just become too big to lug around for my gigs) I'm just wondering what might be some good brands to hone in on based on those specs. GK's have been recommended to me time and time again and I considered the MB 212-ii off their site as it seemed to fit the specs perfectly, but I've read from a number of different places that they're pretty shaky when it comes to durability (or have been in the past)

Can anybody recommend some good models / brands to try based on these requirements? Most of the music stores in my area are predominantly rock / electric bass focused and haven't really been able to be of much help when I've approached them with this info

Thanks

2. bigshiny

bigshiny

I think a couple of 1x12's and a micro head would be the ticket. There are a ton of 1x12 cabs out now at very reasonable prices. And of course the versatility of using 1 or 2 cabs. A search in the double bass forums will find guys using all different kinds of brands. At all different price points.

3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

I am starting to use my EDB - 2 preamp with the Mike Arnapol 4x5 - very natural and I have ordered the sub 10 to go with it. With that I use the Demeter Minnie power amp. Otherwise I use my Mark bass CMD-121 with ext cab..

4. jarop

jarop

I have heard fantastic things about the CMD-121 and it's up there with the MB212-ii as the combo that i'm really leaning towards. They seem like the perfect size and having it in a combo format makes lugging gear just that little bit easier. I would imagine I might see a quality in sound drop if I was to hook up additional cabs in the future to a combo vs a head + cab but I think that should I need to go bigger again I can find myself an additional set-up.

So maybe a 1x12 or 2x10 combo now and then a head + cab combo later should I need to get bigger again later? Does that seem like a good way to cover all my options or should i just get a head + cab and then buy additional cabinets as i need them?

Appreciate the responses, thanks for your help

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

QSC KW122! Choose your favorite preamp…..

7. neddyrow

neddyrow

Loving my acoustic image focus powering an euphonic audio NL 210!

8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

If you like your Mesa - how about a Walkabout combo? They're heavy - but kick major booty. I settled on a Markbass 1x12 cube amp and get all kinds of compliments on the sound.

9. chris_b

chris_b

I've been down this road, downsizing from a Mesa Boogie stack, and my search ended with Bergantino AE112 cabs which have just been joined by a CN212. I use a Thunderfunk TFB750A and Aguilar TH500 amps.

You can be as loud or quiet as you need with the Bergs and the tone remains top quality.

10. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

11. jarop

jarop

Thank you for all the advice, I settled on the Markbass CMD 102p because of the weight, the tone and just the overall portability. It was good to know what all my options were though, I feel like i have a much better understanding of what's out there!