1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for some Amazing Slow Downer help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Keithwah, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I'm not sure exactly where to post this thread. Here's the issue, I've used Amazing Slow Downer for learning cover tunes for a band I've worked with for several years. My set-up was this: bass into a Line 6 bass pod for a preamp sound, headphone jack out to "mic input" on the PC, open up the volume control mixer and adjust the level of my bass' input, open up ASD and start jamming through either earbuds or the 5.1 PC speaker system. Sounded fine. That PC was an eight or nine year old HP running XP Pro. Eventually the gal was taking a virtual dump and I needed to get a new machine. So I got a new HP desktop running Windows 8 Home 64bit. It has an internal sound card as did the old HP. And the latency is ridiculous using the analog audio mic input. So I got a Berhinger $25 USB to analog adaptor gizmo and while latency was better, it was still not in real time so to speak. I can't be the only guy out there doing this! How did you ASD dudes resolve this issue?

Thanks !

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Don't you also experience the latency problem when NOT using ASD?

3. Keithwah

However the ASD program is the only thing I'm interested in doing with it. I do have the Audacity software that comes with the Behringer "bundle", but I had that on the old machine for ripping vinyl and the like. But I really have only one interest and that is being able to sit in my office at home and shed tunes using ear buds so that I don't bug the neighbors and as well to maintain privacy from the outside world.

But yeah, if I can resolve the issue just plugging into the PC's latency, then of course it will resolve my ASD problem.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The problem you're describing is typically caused by a deficiency in the onboard soundcard, which is pretty common. Whether you connect through the analog input or through USB, the onboard soundcard is still processing the sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smogg

smogg

Reverse it. Think of the computer as nothing more than a cd or mp3 player. Run line out/speaker out into the POD. Plug bass into POD have headphones/earbuds come out of POD. No latency that way

7. Keithwah

So what I could do is go into preferences of the ASD program once open and assign the audio out of the program to the Behringer UCA202. I can then plug my buds into the headphone out of the UCA202.

Better than nothing, but not the way I would like to do it. I have a pair of Genelec 8020A's on the main left and right out of my PC and the sub output is driving my Genelec 7050 subwoofer. As you can imagine, the strong desire to on occasion cut loose when nobody is home here or next door as often can be the case, does lurk.

Maybe I'll just move them (the Genelec's) to the living room for the home theater system instead. Something about driving my Genelec's off the headphone out of a Behringer UCA202 just isn't right.

But either way, I'll stick some velcro on the back of the UCA202 pop it under the desk top, probably send the headphone out to a cheap Behringer head phone amp I have laying around, and also velcro that under the desktop and away I go.

Maybe the question here should be; if I upgraded to a higher quality sound card (bypassing the "on-board" sound chip-set), could I eliminate the issue as well?

Anybody?

8. smogg

smogg

Yes, upgrading the sound card should help a lot. And of coarse adding more RAM to the machine is always a cheap fix to improve overall performance.

9. LB75

LB75

You should probably bite the bullet and get an audio interface. I used onboard audio and ASIO4All for several years which worked ok but I found a nice used Focusrite firewire interface on craigslist for $50 and I'm much happier. They can be found on craigslist in this price range regularly.

10. Keithwah

I hear ya! I was trying to not do much with my new home PC other than use it for word, surfing, and rehearsals. But I eventually wanted to get a nicer graphic card too. I have an older SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card in an older machine that I could pull out and drop in as well. I just don't use my machines for all the cool stuff anymore and wanted to keep this machine stock so I didn't have people telling me my junk video card or junk audio card as causing conflicts and the like. I think my old SB Live card also had an old 1384a FireWire port to boot. And since my surround system for the PC is a self powered 5.1 rig, it's not like I'm losing anything audio wise.

Thanks for the thoughts!