1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for some feedback on my new band.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by VeganThump, Oct 22, 2013.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Hello all, sorry to spam it up but I've seen others do the same so I guess it's ok. I joined a new band from Philly called "Tungsten" and before I joined the band, they recorded an album with their old bass player. Here's a link to one of the songs, please check it out and give me some feedback, and please be honest, if don't care if it sounds harsh. Again, it's not me on the recording, though I do find the bass playing pretty superb.

http://tungstenphilly.com/music

Thanks again everyone, and if you like the song, make sure you like us on Facebook!
  2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

OK. Ill bite.

Nice production. Good mix. I Like your singers "Lita ford unpolished" vocal sound. Lyrics are fair.

The intro is too long and unneeded......ESP since this is your only example of music on your site. I forced myself to sit through it....not good. Delete it alltogether. Its good live intro music if this is your first song of your set....or a song that's going to be buried deep in the album, but otherwise its just unnecessary.

Your first main riff is a bit reminiscent of "Perry mason" by ozzy. That's OK though, just pointing it out. Maybe swap the second riff with that one and open the song with that...then into the Perry mason riff?

Dropping the song back down for the verse is cool......but the transition back to the 2nd verse (and all other verses for that matter) is choppy and sounds like it was cut and pasted in there on pro tools. There's no need for this as the last bar of the chorus would stream perfectly into the first bars of the verse. Stop the stop. Its NOT good. Just let it flow.

The solo....
    If you're going to go back to the slow part for the solo (I wouldn't. That's just me) ... let the keyboardist do his thing first, but only the first part.....then have the heavy riff come back and the guitar solo goes over that.....ending with the keys and lead harmonizing the current " one and a two and a" keyboard solo ending...... again without the cut and paste stop into the last verse.

Jmho. I'm OK at arranging things.
    as it is now I'd do three outta 5 stars.....but I think some attention to the overall flow (with my suggestions or other solutions) would benifit the feel significantly and make it a 4 star affair.

:)

P. S. Facebook love goes here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1023050
  3. VeganThump

Thanks kikstand, I much appreciate it. I definitely agree 100% about the intro, I think it should be a seperate track on the album or only done live. I also totally agree about the transition from chorus to verse, I wasn't there when they wrote the song but I kinda got the feeling they weren't sure how to transition back to the chorus so they just put a stop in. It's also entirely possible I'm wrong and that stop is purposely there for aesthetic purposes, who knows? I don't hate it, although I do agree it could have been done smoother. Thanks for your input.
  4. VeganThump

Oh and thanks for the link to that thread, I didn't even known it existed!
  5. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

No prob!

I would at least push for the intro to be chopped off of the song on your band page. Most people listening to new music have a 10second attention span. Since its your only tune available.....some people may be turned off from you band altogether because of 20seconds of monotony.

Ymmv
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

The track sounds good but it needs to be about 4 minutes instead of 6 minutes. I agree, the intro section and its reprise don't need to be there. Stick to the meat of the song. I might find another keyboard solo sound instead the '70s "kitty meow" synth stuff, perhaps more pure B3. But that's just a personal preference. It works OK, just not my favorite keyboard sound.

Your singer has good pipes. The twin guitar work is really good. The phrasing and punches add kick to the song and keeps it from being a droning shred-fest. It is quite musical. Overall it's very listenable. I didn't pump my fist but that's because I'm old. ;)

I suppose during a live show you could put that slow keyboard "intro" section in the middle of the song somewhere so that you could say something deep and witty, add drama, etc. But I don't think it's necessary for the album cut.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you guys have a great show for Halloween. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff