1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for some Really good Bass centered CD’s

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kuroth, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Kuroth

Kuroth

I like it all (Except Country and Western) Funk, Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical etc.. And I have a lot of good CD’s with famous Bass players..

But could you guys recommend any REALLY good ones.. I mean I assume there are no Bass Solo CD’s but are there any where the Bass is really featured.. Something like that.

Thanks!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

This probably should go in the recordings forum, but Steve Bailey's album "So Low" is awesome. Bass and minimal percussion.

3. Kuroth

Kuroth

Thanks.. Like that.. Never heard of that.. Checking it out now..

Yea I was thinking this not be the right are for this questions.. Mods will move if they need to..

4. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Steve's album really is good. I listened to it a lot for a while till I got sick of it. Fantastic stuff. I'm gonna put it on on my drive home today.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Jaco's first record has some awesome bass playing (there will be solo bass), his second record shows off his composition.

I also really like a show of hands by Victor Wooten (one man playin bass by himself, killer playing and groove)

8. Gorn Captain

Victor's albums are good but I can't listen to the spoken word/sorta singing tracks. and +1,000,000 to Jaco's first record. Hands down my favorite album across every genre.

9. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

adam nitti is really good.

10. Kuroth

Kuroth

Oh Yes.. Rush is in my Top 5 Fav.. I got a ton of their CD's.. And Actually for the very first time saw them in concert about a 2 months ago with my 11 year old son.. It was awsome.. :hyper:

11. Kuroth

Kuroth

What is Jacos first recod called?

And yes I was going to search on Wooten.. Anything Specifc from Wooten you all recommed?

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Disclosures:
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Bass On Top - Paul Chambers

[​IMG]

13. Gorn Captain

Jaco Pastorius

14. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

I have this CD. Love it!

15. Joedog

Joedog

Bella Fleck and the Flecktones (Victor Wooten) have some killer CD's. Also (believe it or not) Emmy Lou Harris's "Spyboy" CD kicks some serious butt with a great bass player (I forget his name). It's like country music done by a turbocharged fusion/rock band. It rocks.

16. Kuroth

Kuroth

I really like some of Alice in Chains stuff.. Very dark and kind of depressing music but some good stuff..

Does anyone know the song Rotten Apple if that beginning part of the Song is that not a Bass and Lead Guitar soloing off of each other? It sounds awesome.

17. bill reed

bill reed

Cream.
    Free.
    beatles.
    yes.

18. Titania

Titania

Check out a band called Clatter. They're a bass/drum duo. Bass player mostly plays a Rickenbacker.

19. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Of course anything Rush. Of course anything Jaco. Motown, goes without saying.

If you ask me, Chuck Rainey's playing with Steely Dan is how you are supposed to play bass. Check out his friend and contemporary, Jerry Jemmott, on records from B.B. King, Aretha Franklin and King Curtis, as well.

You know, Duran Duran's Rio is an amazing bass record, highly underrated. Also check out Jeff Berlin's High Standards. Killer.

Top all that off with La Faro's work with Bill Evans, and you are golden!!

20. philtoler

philtoler

Anything by Level 42 or Mark King but especially the early stuff. If you want something well off mainstream and highly original check out Colin Hodgkinson "Asking The Way" or anything by Back Door

21. duckbutter

duckbutter