1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for something to bring down excessive volume.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FBGT, Dec 6, 2013.

1. FBGT

FBGT

When using distortion-like effects (od, distortion, synth, fuzz, etc.) I like to stack multiple effects to get interesting and new distortion tones. The problem with this is my volume invariably skyrockets my volume over the rest of the band and I just end up sounding horrible with everyone else. I can't just bring the volume down or play more softly either, as this ruins the tone. I am looking for something that I guess would go at the end of the chain and take the signal as is and chop it down volume wise, without messing with the sensitivities of the other pedals I am using and deliver the same exact tone, just quieter. Is there any type of effect that could do that for me?
  2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have a volume pedal at the end of my chain for that very reason.
  3. FBGT

FBGT

What kind of volume pedal are you using? I'm a stingy bastard, so I am a little hesitant to pay upwards of $100 bucks for a glorified volume pot, but I wouldn't mind if it is reasonably priced and/or is versatile.
  4. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Boss makes and OK volume pedal. The Ernie Ball one is pretty rugged though.
  5. zwkoch

I use a passive Ernie Ball. Scour CL, ebay, and the classifieds here. You can find one for $50 or less.
  6. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Can I ask what pedals you are stacking?

The way I stack up gain stuff, I control the overall with whatever the final pedal is. I use that as kinda a master volume.

I can think of a pedal that attenuates though. The Electro Harmonix Pad. It can drop your decibel level down.
  7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Also... I made a looper pedal that had a volume knob on it. I had to make it because I couldn't for the life of me find a company that made a basic looper with a volume. It was easy to solder together, probably $20 in parts.
  8. FBGT

FBGT

What do you mean by looper pedal? An effects loop (I have no idea how those work) or a loop repeating pedal?
  9. zwkoch

The Badger Schism is a loop pedal with independent volumes for each channel. The Badger website has a great description.