1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for strings for a 5-string tuned to C#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassresistance, Dec 17, 2012.

1. bassresistance

bassresistance

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't get anywhere with the search functionality - "c#" is too short, and "c-sharp" only picks up "sharp".

I play a 5-string, 34" scale MIM Fender Jazz. It's tuned C# F# B E A, and I'm never sure whether to think of it as a 5-string tuned up, or a high-C 5-string tuned down. I currently have Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on it (40-125) but the tension is too much. Tone-wise it's great.

My options seem to be dropping to either 120, or 110. 115 sets seem to be something of a rarity. Any suggestions?

If it's useful, I play progressive black metal with the bass pretty prominent in the mix. Most of my tone comes from a VT-Bass pedal with the character around noon, and a bit of a mid-scoop.

Cheers,
    Steve
  2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

You should be able to make up a set based on a 115 C# string by buying individual strings. Bass Strings Online sells several brands as singles and Circle K strings sells their own strings that way. Contact the owner of BSO and he can recommend brands and gauges (or he may jump into this discussion on his own, he is a TB member) or you can use the D'Addario and Circle K tension charts to pick string gauges that will give you the same tensions your original BEADG strings had. Those tables can be used directly to buy those brands of strings of course but they should work pretty well on other brands of strings of similar types although you may not get the exact gauges in other brands so pick the closest available gauges.

Ken
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I switched to a Circle K balanced tension set a couple months ago, and I'm mightily impressed with the quality of the strings, regarding both tone and longevity.

That crew is deep into string tension and appropriate gauges, for sure.
  4. bassresistance

bassresistance

Thanks for the help - will have a look at Circle K.
  5. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I can second a recommendation for Cirlcle K. The strings are supple, long-lasting, and sound good. They can put together sets for any tuning you can think of, at just about any tension you want.