1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for that "Punchy" Sound

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JamieIsOnline, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JamieIsOnline

JamieIsOnline

Hi all, I need some help,

I'm trying to get quite a punchy, clear cut sound from my bass (I like being able to hear all the string picking) and I'm always using the more treble of my pickup (I use a Yamaha BB414 and Rockinbetter RG4003)

I'd ideally like it to sound similar to Pat Badger from Extreme
    (6:09 in for example)

I know I can't really replicate it exactly but what can I do to my eq on my amp to get it closer to that I have a Carlsbro 150W stingray head

Cheers
    Jamie
  2. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

DR HI Beams... Active controls with treble and bass boost....possible tweeter in your cab,.... start by setting your EQ flat and take out what you dont like instead of adding frequencies
  3. Russell L

Russell L

Even roll off some of your lowest lows, depending on the voicing of your amp. You might be surprised how much bottom is still there, but less boomy.
  4. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa Powerhouse cabs will get the job done. They are the punchiest cabs I've tried (due to their low mids) and extremely detailed yet smooth on the top end. They reveal your bass/tone *a lot* while having a rock/metal kind of voicing.
  5. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Yah I second the Hi Beams. They're the brightest strings I know of. Scoop some mid, boost some highs, you'll get it.
  6. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    All great advice and also keep this in mind.....as a rule PA wise, to get the headroom and crispness a good sound needs, the general rule of thumb for power 2x what the cabinet claims is max. So say monitors with a max power rating of 1000 amps are well served with a 2000 watt power amp. Overpower is never a problem for u can always dial it back but underpowering drivers can lead to some of the most distorted, crappy live sounds u have ever heard. This especially holds true powering bass drivers....powering those low signals takes a lot of oomph and u will b amazed at the tone difference u can get with a big, powerful head vs a small, lower powered unit.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

:rollno: :scowl:
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolute 100% myth. Sorry.
  9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I suggest you go and have a converstation with your endorser.

10. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1.

I run a Powerhouse 4X12 or 6X10 and my tone has been found! These cabs are seriously awesome and I couldn't be any happier.

They truly bring out the growl of my Spector Euro 5LX. I prefer the 4X12 for the more aggressive sounding stuff and find the 610 to be a little bit smoother IMO.
  11. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

+1 for boogie cabs... punchy and crisp
  12. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

No one's gone here yet so I will: Tube amp.

This is assuming that your idea of punchiness equals mine.
  13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

No

Just NO

:rollno:
  14. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I read that under powering as over powering so I didn't comment on it. Definitely wrong on that point, though.
  15. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    No such word as under powering it don't exist, also punch comes from the playing style 98% and gear 2%.:bassist:
  16. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

Really? I would have thought a boost in mids and rolling of the bass would do it. So much to learn.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

I think scooping the mids will make your sound disappear in a mix. It does mine.
  18. arai

arai

Listening to the clip, that bass is not my definition of punchy. It is mid scooped with a lot of highs and overdrive. A sans amp bass driver DI will get you there easy
  19. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I am currently running a thunderfunk amp. I consider it very punchy. The designer, Dave Funk, says he paid careful attention to phase coherence. I believe this is what makes this amp particularly punchy. Here is the link to some videos on this amp. http://www.thunderfunk.com/YouTube.html. Please let us know if this is what you mean by punchy.
  20. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I'm going to agree wit Arai up there, listening to that clip, it's not really what I'd call punchy. I'd say it's gritty and crunchy, but it seems pretty mid scooped to me, and for me, Mids are what make a sound punchy. I consider my tone pretty punchy:

Granted those clips don't do great justice to the low end, but that setup provides a serious kick in the bowels. That's a Precision with Swing 66s into a Sunn 2000s. I back off the lows, crank the highs and mids (presence) and run my tone knob wide open. The amp is also running at around 8, so it's pretty cranked.

Thats my idea of punchy though. From the sounds of it, for the tone you want, you're going to want bright roundwounds and then scoop the mids out.