1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

looking for "the bass guitar bible!"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by freddy dupree, Nov 26, 2008.

1. freddy dupree

freddy dupree

hi. quick history: I'm a music degree holder in brass playing (trumpet). I switched to playing bass guitar a few years ago, but I'm missing my bible! In the trumpet world all serious players have "Arban's" method book. This is a great book of exercises, etudes, and tunes to last a life time. Does anyone know if there is a book like this for bass guitar!? thanks for any input.... FD
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Probably not. There's the Simandal method for upright bass, but the electric bass is such a new instrument that the pedagogy for it isn't defined. There's a lot of good stuff out there, but not any one that's great in all respects to cover everyone.

For people playing popular music I'd suggest a copy of the bood/DVD set of "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" by Alan Slutsky a/k/a "Dr. Licks". Another good resource is "What Duck Dunn". But those are really transcriptions of specific bass lines, which while being great learning tools, aren't really geared to being progressive etudes. So, I'd also suggest Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" or Ray Brown's bass method. Carol Kaye has some great educational material too, as does Jeff Berlin. BTW, Berlin has recommended trombone books for bassists, including a Berklee book on chords and arpeggios.

jte
  3. dmusic148

dmusic148

At the moment none exist, not in the form you propose(Simandl, for example). Reportedly Stanley Clarke and others are working on putting one together for electric. Remember, the instrument has existed for less than 60 years in it's current form.
  4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

I think Ed Friedland's Hal Leonard Bass Method Books 1-3 is the closest anybody has gotten to creating a definitive "method" for electric bass. It's by far the clearest and easiest to follow IMO, and gets you up to speed with most things technique related.
  5. Quap

Quap Supporting Member

I wonder if the Simandl could be reworked and tweaked for Electric Bass.

Heck as a band nerd, I am still waiting for a composer to write a Concerto for Electric Bass. So tired of clarinets :bag:
  6. MichaelVee

MichaelVee Supporting Member

Since it hasn't come out yet, I don't know how good it is, but how about this?

[​IMG]
  7. JFace

JFace

Bass Guitar for Dummies is the closest thing I can think of. It's pretty useful IMO. The author, Patrick Pfeiffer is a great guy, too.
  8. bottomzone

bottomzone

+1000000!!!!!!!! This is a great book/CD and is extremely well written and organized by Mr. Pfeiffer!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  9. mambo4

mambo4

go to amazon and check out Bass Bible
    by Paul Westwood

I have it and recommend it highly, esp if you can read notation. Why? because it has a broad catalog of stylistic examples: rock, jazz, latin, soul, afropop, and obscure world music. He even has specific sections for playing "in the style of" some of the great players. there's also the usual stuff about modes, chord progressions, and many basic grooves, plus a 2 CD audio component.

I've never seen a book with more comprehensive, practical examples in one volume. If I were suddenly tapped to play a genre I have no familiarity with, I'd pick up that book first.

That said, Standing In the Shadows of Motown may be more "biblical" - it was certainly a divine revelation to me!
  10. Kindofblue

Kindofblue

Depends what you want to go into. For just technique related stuff and all that id say Ed Friedlands series like HAVIC posted. For writing bass lines I would check out Mike Downs "The Jazz Bassline Book" I use that for reference and when I find something that just isn't making sense. Also a book that has never ending tunes...I'd say grab a real book.
  11. John Webb

John Webb

Did you know that Stanley Clark and Steve Bailey are working on one together?
    Not sue how long it will take before it is published though.
  12. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Yeah, that book by Mike Downs is incredible, definitely one of my all time favs.
  13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

As far as I've understood it, "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid has always been one of the top-shelf books for bass. I would recommend it to anyone.
  14. DocBop

DocBop

+1 Rufus' good has a lot of good exercises and the other books like Simandl and SITSOM are good books too. I would add Chord Studies for the Electric Bass from Berklee press is good one too. I would say look for the trombone equivalent of your Arbans book. Why not use your Arban's book just transpose. I even do the Hanon piano book playing the left hand since it mainly just mirrors the right in the exercises.
  15. Vetchking

Vetchking

Disclosures:
    President G.P.G. Co. "acoustic" USA
    Vetchking here: Since you have a music degree, Look out side the box.

Buy a couple of early beatle albums, learn Pauls parts, Throw in a few Zeppelin albums,

Get a couple of Tower Of Power albums........... Add Weather Report, Pre- Jaco is important.......

You'll be a smokin Bass player............. OOPS.......Forgot .... James Brown.

You'll have it all. Not only will the records give you the knowledge, they will give you the grooves......... The interplay with the other musicians, etc.

There is a time to leave the books......... Later............
  16. jonster

jonster

Freddy,

I just want to let you know that I've written five bass books for Hal Leonard, which you might find helpful.

Funk Bass, my first book, devoted to the slapping technique.
    Funk/Fusion Bass, my second book, focuses on finger-style funk.
    Rock Bass is my third book.
    Blues Bass is my fourth book.

My BRAND NEW BOOK, scheduled for release at the January 2009 NAMM Show, is called BASS GROOVES: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION. It covers just about every style you'll ever need, including blues, jazz, rock, funk/R&B, reggae, country, latin and much more.

Will Lee, who wrote the foreword, called it "the most important book since Standing in the Shadows of Motown!" It's also endorsed by Stuart Hamm, Brian Bromberg, Bob Babbitt, Steve Bailey, Alexis Sklarevsky and many others.

If anyone has any of my other books, let me (and everyone else) know what you think. I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks!

Jon Liebman
  17. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

In a former life I was a trombonist, so I'm a Simandl fan also. (And I have tried playing some of it on bass - now that's a challenge!) The closest to a bible I can recommend is the often mentioned Rufus Reid book. It's not the same thing, but it does have some good exercises that you can go back to time and again. He also did a second book, Evolving Upwards, which covers the higher range of the neck.
  18. 4bpauly

4bpauly

just a note..if you are looking

it is Mike Downes, not Mike Downs

and it is a great book

i was lucky enough to study with Mike at Humber College for a couple years.... great guy too.

i believe it is published through Advance Music.
  19. GastonD

GastonD

I'm kinda surprised that nobody mentioned "Improviser's Bass Method" by Chuck Sher!?
    The "Serious Electric Bass" by Joel DiBartolo is also excellent, although it does not cover any stylistic approach to playing. However, as a technical/theoretical reference it is formidable.
  20. belacqua16

belacqua16

The Improvisor's Bass Method: For Electric & Acoustic Bass - Chuck Sher