Looking for -used, 4x10, loud and clear, reasonably light, decent price

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Turns out the guy who blew 1 of the Deltas in my 2x122 cabinet also damaged the other. I will replace the 2nd one soon.
    I'm looking for more cone area for volume with 500 watts.

My 2x15 might be good but is too long for my car.
    3015 in a TL606 is not full or loud enough
    Not so sure that a different 2x12 would be that much better but would be interested in opinions.
    Am thinking that a used 4x10 at maybe 55lbs would be something to consider.

Any other thoughts?
    While I do have very powerful amps, I'm really liking this MB500.

PS - I also have a Berg HT322 that is perfect but weighs 100 lbs with wheels and is a bit much to load by myself into the backseat of a 4 door sedan at 100 o'clock in the morning.

2. Jheake

Jheake

"4x10, loud and clear, reasonably light"

This description to me fits the SWR Golight 410 cabinet. I am sure they can be found for reasonable prices too. I owned one for a couple years, and its a very stout cabinet. Lots of mids, and decent treble extention as well. Cut through great in a mix, and was under 55 lbs. Was also one of the smallest 410s i have seen.

Good luck!

3. eriky4003

eriky4003

I've read there is a lot of love for GK Neo 410 (60+ lbs.). Although, also from what I've read, the Golight is a great cab.

4. KJung

KJung

With an honestly rated 500 watt amp, the best 410 I've ever played was a Bergantino CN212 :D:bag::smug:

If you are locked into a 410 for some reason, keep your eye out for the Bergantino AE410. Reasonably light, small, and kicks like a mule.

To put this in context also, the TH322 was among my least favorite Bergantino cabs. Way to wide, mid relaxed, and sizzly up top, even back when I was kind of into that tone profile. If you are looking for that sort of tone in a light 410, find a used Epifani 410UL(II).

Edit: PS... don't be afraid of a good 212 cab. Just make sure, if you are going to continue to use that SM400, to ALWAYS use an external hi pass... ALWAYS. Or, get rid of it. That head is a cab destroyer for sure if abused.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Fender Bassman Pro Neo 410 Is The Best There Is! True, So True. :D Listen. Learn. Live. LOVE. Fender. :cool:

7. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Well, the CN212 does meet all the requirements except for price but I guess you get what you pay for.

Yes, the SM400 was the speaker killer unless you pull all the 40Hz with the graphic, set the base knob at 10:30 and add bottom at 120ish and then add 200ish to get rid of the scoop.
    I explained the low freq issue with the 2 opening bands but drunks are not to be trusted.

I do like my Dr. Bass cabinet (bought used) but believe the Eminence Delta's (rated at 500 watts RMS each) would be far less musical and durable than whatever Jim uses.

And no more hating the HT322!
    Yeah, the bottom can get messy but it gets the clear thing happening really well and I'm OK with the miss. Jim told me that it was one of his favorite cabs as well as many of his dealers but the weight was a sale killer. I bought a very clean one at GC for something like $400 out the door as they didn't know what it was.

I was thinking GoLight but not so sure they really sold that many considering what things were like for SWR at that time.

Te GK 2x12 gets a lot of love but I also hear that some times a 2nd cab is in order.

Never tried a Fender 4x12 neo but will keep that in mid as well.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Do you like Markbass? Their cabinets are not for everybody, but they fit your criteria. I sold a 410 a couple days ago for $500, 55ish pounds, plenty loud and clear, handled the low B too.

I am a huge Epifani fan, I don't know how easy it would be to find a UL2-410 but I would definitely get one if I was looking for a 410.