1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for walking bass lines

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by klavdimundi, Jan 25, 2014.

1. klavdimundi

klavdimundi

Hey there everybody! I'm looking for a walking bass lines with play-alongs. I've started playing double bass for some time, but it's hard for me to make a bass line by my self. So i want to find some sheet music and jam with the playback. If it's possible please share with me something. Thank you!

2. bobsax

bobsax

I think you've been ignored because it's not clear what your looking for.

There are bass transcriptions of great bass players all over the place .
    Ron Carter's bass lines from the Aebersold vol 1 are available . You can play along with Ron's notes or turn him off and play them by yourself.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Ed's book is great. The first part clearly explains the hows and whys of bass line construction. Turn off one channel on the CD and it's a play-along for his bass line transcriptions (or make up your own) - adding the other channel gives you Ed's playing the same parts (as well as a lot of discouragement when you realize you'll never sound like him!).

Seriously, it's a no-brainer - the best $22 I've spent learning DB!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh shucks now, I'll get the bigegohead. But thanks for the nice words.

There's a great story about Sonny Dallas, somebody comes up on a break tells Sonny how great he sounds and Sonny says "Thanks, but all you're hearing is a lot of hard work. You do the work, you'll sound like that too."

I have to again thank Joe Solomon for helping me get to the point where I can make what little sense I do when I play...

7. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

Aside from books and Aebersolds, or rather, in addition to:

You might want to try to transcribe some basslines (or parts of them) yourself as well. That can be challenging at first, but it has the IMO great advantage of dealing with lines that are already in a full musical context. That does not necessarily make the lines "better", but I always figure, if they were good enough for the respective bandleader...

A great place to start could be the multi-CD-box "steamin'/cookin'/workin'/relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" (am I forgetting one?). Paul Chambers. The bass is surprisingly audible (given the production date), it's a great bag of tunes to know, and while you can't dial out the bass, playing along with PC doesn't hurt. Another one of way too many excellent calls could be "My Funny Valentine/Four and more", by a later incarnation of the Miles Davis Quintet (Ron Carter, Tony Williams, George Coleman, Herbie Hancock). Great great lines.

Best
    Sidecar

8. joe.wimberley

joe.wimberley

Great topic, I'll need to check out Ed's book.

Regarding transcription, another disc I've been listening to a lot is Sam Cooke, Night Beat. Great bass lines, not too difficult to pick out!

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Also recommended two volume set LIVE at the IT CLUB Thelonious Monk Quartet. Bassist Larry Gales generally starts every solo of his by walking a full chorus out front with (mostly) just the drums as accompaniment. Very easy to hear the line.

10. bobsax

bobsax

That's a nice album .
    Thanks Joe for reminding me how awesome Sam Cook is:)
    I just sampled it all on iTunes. You get a nice long listen on every tune.
    Wiki says its Clif Hils on bass guitar but my tin ears hear a DB. ??

I was looking for "LIVE at the IT CLUB Thelonious Monk" and it's not available on iTunes in the U.S.