Looking for wiring help - 5 way rotary switch.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JasonKain, Feb 3, 2013.

1. JasonKain

JasonKain

Ahoy. I've had a homemade Music Man HH project in the works for a while. I had a preamp on order, but it's looking like I won't be getting it, so I'm resorting to piece together my own from another preamp and a rotary switch.

The whole shebang has to fit in the routing cavity of your average top-routed Precision bass with a separate battery compartment, so I'm looking at a 2-band preamp with a 5-way rotary switch to get the coil selection of a Music Man HH. Problem I have is that I have no idea how to A: Wire the pickups to the switch to get the coil selections, and B: insert it into an already wired preamp to not screw everything up.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Knowing what wiring you expect to achieve and which preamp you own would help.
  3. JasonKain

JasonKain

Apologies for the lack in clarity, it's been a long day for me an I left out certain key info, lol. I do not currently have a preamp in hand, I'm still debating on going eBay cheapo to just get the project done, or something between the John East MMSR 2 band and the Nordstrand 2 Band MM.

If I was just dropping it in, I wouldn't have an issue, but I want to get a 5 way selector similar to what the HH Stingrays have for coil selection. I believe this should illustrate it fairly well: http://www.buzzardsbass.com/bass-guitars/music-man/cfd_stingray_hh_3eq.pdf

The only caveat is I'd like to get that switching in a rotary switch, so I can just attach it through the pickguard and have it match the other knobs on the bass. Real estate is fairly limited on this project, and I don't think I have room in the control cavity to put the usual five position selector. My issue is that I have no friggin' clue how to correctly wire a rotary switch to get the functionality shown in the pdf above, or how to splice it into whatever preamp I get.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I found this thread looking for 3-way rotary switch wiring help and then found these ... so I wanted to share them in hopes it can help w/your 5-way questions (following logic?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad