Looking into getting 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Triassic Ash, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Triassic Ash

Triassic Ash

I've narrowed it down to either a MM Stingray 5 or Lakland 55-02, possibly a G&L 2500 (I like the more traditional look)

Anyway, I play just about everything from King Crimson to Metallica to Steve Morse Band, so versatility is a plus. Now, I know the Lakland is the clear winner in terms of sound manipulation, but I'm pretty good at EQing so although pickup blending at splitting is awesome it's not the end "all be all"

Okay with that out of the way, I'm particularly interested in hearing from members who have owned or do own both of these instruments. And here are a few priority features I'm looking for:

Good B string: clarity and tightness
    Versatility
    Utility of pre-amp

Also, I know I should A B both, but that's not possible so help me out. Feel free to give other basses as well, I'm open to suggestions :)
  2. chris_b

chris_b

I started with a MM SR5 and moved on to a Lakland 55-94, which I still use.

If you like traditional check out Mike Lull P and J basses. My passive Lull is the best bass of any type I've played in decades.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have a USA Trekker Prostar 5 and love the low B It also has an 18v preamp.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I would recommend checking out a Sterling 5 HS - they're extremely versatile...

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

The most important choice is polite vs punch, thats the big difference with these. The lakland is the most refined/polite and the g&l is the most punchy/fat/raw. The stingray is in between. All are great basses and can cover lots of styles.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I built my own to start my entry into 5'ers. Ended up with the prototype G5 neck and body from Warmoth. Right when they were toying with starting to make a 5 string P bass. A great decision on my part for me.. However, there are hundreds of choices for far less than what it cost me.
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon

All great basses. I recently bought a SR5 and love it.
  9. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5 Gold Supporting Member

I had a Sterling HS, incredibly well built, comfortable neck, just didn't care for the tone
    after a while. Got a Lakland 55-02, more of the tone I was after, wider spacing, but still
    kind of sterile. Put in a set of Nordstrand pickups and a Pope 4 band Flexcore and it made
    the bass come alive.
  10. darrenmt

darrenmt

With regards to SR5 vs 55-02 as your 2 final choices, both are different tonally and string spacing wise. The stingray has a more raw sound vs 55-02(with lakland pickups/lh3 pre) being a little more refined. The 55-02 will get close to the tones of the big 3(p/j /mm basses) while the ray will always be a ray(nothing wrong with that).

String spacing difference between the 2 is noticeable enough to be the decider. I used to play stingray 5s exclusively but moved to a 55-94 bcos i preferred the string spacing so much more.

Whatever choice you make, either are awesome. Only thing more awesome is to have both :)
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Having owned pretty much all three (I have a modded 55-01) I can safely say they all sound superb and there are just little differences in them. Here's how I see them.

A single pickup MM will be the least versatile.The G&L will be the most versatile, with the Lakland in the middle.

The Lakland is 35" scale with normal 19mm spacing, the others have narrow spacing and 34" scale. These are more personal preference.

Generally the Lakland and MM will have similar feeling necks, with the G&L being more chunky.

The Lakland will balance better on a strap than any of them.

Generally, a MM will be the heaviest of the bunch, followed by G&L then Lakland.

Lakland will have by far the strongest B of the bunch.

Like I said, my favorite is the Lakland mainly due to the neck, spacing, and 35" scale.
  12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I've owned both a Tribute L-2500 and a US L-2500. I currently own a Lakland 55-02.

+1 on how well the 55-02 balances. It's fantastic. Just played it this morning.

The LH3 is a very powerful and versatile pre. You can get so many tones from the 55-02 it's crazy. It's become my go to bass. Quiet electronics, easy to play, and it just works.
  13. Triassic Ash

Triassic Ash

Thanks for the comments. Which do you reckon to be the most "modern" sounding of the three? Also, how does the Bongo differ from the SR5, G&L 2500, and the 55-02?
  14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

^ This - you already say that the 55-02 is the "clear winner"....why "make excuses" and "have to EQ" when you don't have to???

For my $$$$ I will go to Lakland for the B-string sound, clarity, LH3 versatility and killer Customer service...