Looking into my first head + cab, found a used MarkBass TA501. Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MadModBassist, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Just simply wondering if anyone's had any experience with such a head and if you think it'd be good for me to start with ($500 for a used tube head seems pretty nice to me). Here it is on MarkBass's site: http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=67
    And the head itself: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARKBASS-TA501-HEAD-109669294-i3489843.gc
    Missing at least the compressor gauge, not sure how much that'll be to replace.

I really like the MarkBass sound, so to be able to get something that was previously really nice and STILL really nice for cheap seems like a good thing to me, but I'm always in need of sound advice, and where else to turn but here?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Seems well overpriced for something needing repair. Have a look through TB classifieds.

3. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

Appears sold. I agree though I wouldn't want to buy something needing repairs.

4. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PBassTX

PBassTX Supporting Member

I use a TA501 with Trace Elliot cabs and I am real happy with it.

[​IMG]

500.00 used is a pretty decent price for one that doesn't need repair. I'd be afraid about what else might be wrong that you won't know about until you get it. I'm trying to figure out how/why it would be missing the tube compressor meter.....and by the way it's a tube compressor, not a tube amp. If you are looking for a bass amp with the classic rock tube sound, this isn't it!

FYI, that's a 6u rack with a power conditioner, a single space cover, the TA501, a compressor, and a sonic maximizer. Honestly the amp sound much better without the additional compressor, and the sonic maximizer. As soon as I get around to getting a smaller rack case, the compressor and sonic maximizer are going into the home studio.

7. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Rig looks nice!
    Yeah, to put it lightly, I am slightly concerned about what other problems could be lurking in the near future, especially when another in seemingly great condition is available for the same price.

Ah, I didn't know of a difference. Well, as far as the "tube sound" goes, I played this thing myself in-store and really dug the sound. If and when I'll get the classic rock tube sound, it'll be when I can afford an SVT :p

8. PBassTX

PBassTX Supporting Member

Thanks... It's actually lighter than it looks, the MB heads are pretty light as well as the TE Cabs.

9. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Oh I'll bet! I've picked up the MarkBass heads and amps at GC before and was always amazed at how light they were.

Appreciate all the input I've gotten! I'm going to inquire at my local GC to see if they can bring in the other undamaged TA501 head, since I'll probably just scoop it up!

Any other input one could recommend, either from experience or what they can decipher on the specs page? I'm just looking for something nice for club gigs and eventual small stage shows (think crowds between 12-2000).

EDIT: Have an opportunity to buy one of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...ss-Speaker-Cabinet-800W-104604103-i1993188.gc
    This would be OK to use with the head, right? I can get it used for about $325.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

4x10 has poor dispersion. If you go to a smaller club/pub gig where 4x10, 6x10 or 8x10 carries the room without PA, listen to the bass from various points, in front of the cab is full of life but to the sides is way dull.

11. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Ah, so I'd be better off looking for a single 15" then?

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Or 2x10, advantage to skinny tall stacks is both you and audience hear more of the same thing. 15's aren't so great either, but better than 4x10.

Anything more than 2x 2x10 or a 2x15 is overkill for the drumset and only necessary to keep up to some silly loud guitard. Imo. For getting seriously loud, get a good PA.